Woodnet Forums
A new Desk for me - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A new Desk for me (/showthread.php?tid=7349047)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-24-2019

Still have a Hutch to build to house the computer in....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is now working it's way through some sort of plan....need a better home for this thing..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=19590]
Somewhere near this spot....
Winkgrin 
[attachment=19591]
This is the old hutch....Monitor also needs to be raised up a few inches, rather than just sit on my nice, new, shiny desk's top
Rolleyes 

have an external hard drive to also find a spot to call home, instead of sitting on a lamp's base.   may also see about a new lighting system...

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin

RE: A new Desk for me - stav - 07-25-2019

That is looking great.

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-25-2019

Ok..."Moose & Squirrel" have delivered a Plan..
Winkgrin
[attachment=19611]
For the Hutch.    Top will be a 1 x 8, with a bit of Live Edge
Cool 
[attachment=19612]
Rest of the lumber supply is 4/4 x 6 x 6' 
[attachment=19613]
Will clean up a few edges...otherwise will just be used..maybe use some stopped dados?

need to get a better cut list, too
Rolleyes
[attachment=19614]
Yep, that is it, so far....need lengths of the shelves...and decide on the "cubbies"    Live edge will be facing down....so it won't become a trap for dust bunnies...

might take a few days...we'll see...and, make sure Boris and Natasha don't steal the Plan...
Winkgrin

RE: A new Desk for me - hbmcc - 07-26-2019

That looks pretty good Rocky. What is Bullwinkle doing?
Big Grin

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-28-2019

Been cutting parts...
Winkgrin Top has been trimmed to length, the non-live edge been jointed
[attachment=19639]
Bark removed with a wide chisel, cleaned up with a spokeshave...
Winkgrin
[attachment=19640]
Then the live edge was rounded over with a spokeshave..
[attachment=19641]
As there wasn't enough wood on the edge to guide a router bit.   Front corners got a rounding, to match the top of the desk...
[attachment=19642]
Vintage saw?
Winkgrin then set the hutch's top over, out of the way...
Cool
[attachment=19643]
Which left getting 4 uprights 18-3/4" long, out of a 6' length of 4/4 Ash....
Rolleyes
[attachment=19644]
3 out of 4?  Hauled a second plank to the shop...4th upright was cut, along with 2 shelves.   All the uprights needed jointed, then ripped so the edges were parallel.   Cupping was removed...
[attachment=19645]
then a smooth plane, and then a sander.   Shelves were ripped to match.  Set the uprights on the top, to get the spacings and shelf lengths just right
[attachment=19646]
9" for the tower's shelf, 23" for the monitor shelf, will sit in 1/2" x 1/2" dados....between the bad sections in plank #2 ( knots) an upright, and these two shelves...ran out of wood....had to dig through all the cut-offs, to find enough for the 4 cubby shelves..
Cool 

[attachment=19647]
need to getting the spacing for 4 shelves into 18" of uprights.   Will be using stopped dados....had to dig out a decent router and bit..
Uhoh
[attachment=19648]
DeWalt #610 ( yard sale find, a few years ago..$5) and a 1/2" shanked, 1/2" straight cutter...2 flutes.   need to set up a guide, and a stop, and see how deep some dados need to be...
stay tuned...

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-29-2019

Ok, used the router to cut a few stopped dados..
Rolleyes
[attachment=19680]
needed elbow room.  a way to hold parts and the router guide still long enough to lay out a cut..
[attachment=19681]
And, make the cuts..
[attachment=19682]
Once a board was done with the router, I could then square the end of the dado..
[attachment=19683]
Some of the uprights only get one dado, while the one next to it gets 2, and offset at that..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=19684]
Might be a tad too thin, otherwise?  Other uprights got a bunch  of dados..
Winkgrin
[attachment=19685]
Then matching tenons were milled....was going along nicely   until
Upset
[attachment=19686]
i discovered these 4 shelves were too short....trashed these, re-cut 4 new ones...only to find out they were 1/4" too long
No Recut the tenon, then the tenon was 1/16 too long...FINALLY..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=19687]
It fits...was able to do a full dry fit, with a few clamps..
Uhoh  
[attachment=19688]
Will have to glue this up in sections.  
Stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-29-2019

dry fits became glue-ups...first a rebate was milled in the back edges of the cubby hole uprights.   Then some glue and clamps..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=19689]
Lots of clamps.   Found a piece of 5mm plywood about the right width...and cut it for length...then more glue, and some brass nails..
Cool 
[attachment=19690]
Also helped square this thing up.  Nail off one edge, check for square, nail off the other edge, then a single nail into each shelf...

Since I had a few "extra clamps"
Rolleyes  Decided to glue in the tower's shelf...
Cool
[attachment=19691]
Just the shelf...2 clamps for that.   The other 3 were used to pull things into the top shelf, and square up the tower shelf...

Intend to go back drill and counter sink for brass  #8 x 1" brass screws..two per glue joint.  I just don't trust glue into end grain joints.  Then see about how to glue and clamp the entire hutch together....May need a few extra hands to help?    may involve sitting the top on the tablesaw's top, and work from each end?

Monitor shelf should be
Uhoh just a slip fit...then a pair of clamps....cussing will be involved, too
Upset 
Bought the screws today, and a few brackets to attach the Hutch to the Desk...

Left knee got rehab today.....rather a bit sore to go to the shop...besides, it IS Monday..
No 
Stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-30-2019

Screws installed ( only snapped one
Rolleyes )  Tablesaw was cleaned off, blade lowered...needed a place to do a glue up...sanded the sides of the cubby hole assembly...needed a hammer to adjust the fit, but...
Cool
[attachment=19704]
4 clamps to hold it til the glue dries...screws?
[attachment=19705]
16 of them....pilot hole, counter sink
[attachment=19706]
Then drive the waxed screws home....ran yet another errand....
Uhoh
Came back home, added a few screws to the tower shelf assembly.   Sanded that smooth...got to looking at the Monitor shelf..."show edge" had a pair of big knots right on the edge.....re-cut the tenon enough, I could flip the shelf over...for a "good" edge to show...rotate the top shelf around, was a bit too heavy on one end, made clamping it down a bit tricky...then a forest of clamps happened
Winkgrin 
[attachment=19707]
hammer again helped adjust for fit
Rolleyes 
Along with those Brass screws...bought a few brackets to install the Hutch onto the desk....2 kinds, actually
Cool
[attachment=19708]
The "L" shaped ones go in back...one per upright.  The fancy ones go out front. and match others I already installed...
Cool
[attachment=19709]
To attach the knee well onto the drawer unit of the desk....and onto the leg unit..
[attachment=19710]
Black screws, or Brass ones?
[attachment=19711]
They came with the black, may go a head and use them...

letting things dry a day, or so.    Knee went through Day #1 of PT/Therapy....may rest it up, too
Rolleyes 
Once all those clamps come back off, lots of sanding, add the screws in the top shelf's glue joints...and maybe a coat of stain...before the brackets go on?
Confused
Stay tuned...may need a bit of help getting this out of the shop...
Winkgrin

RE: A new Desk for me - stav - 07-30-2019

Wow, you are burning through this build. It is coming along nicely.

I’d volunteer to help get it out of your shop, but I suspect you don’t live in driving distance from my place.
Smile

RE: A new Desk for me - bandit571 - 07-30-2019

Ok, one trip to the shop...Homework  for the knee was done, rewarded with a charlie horse...
Angry 
Clamps removed...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=19716]
Then sanded where needed....drilled the top for 4 pairs of screws...had to actually SIT on the hutch, to drill and counter sink, then add the screws..
Rolleyes
[attachment=19717]
Then sit this back up onto the tablesaw, and add a coat of stain to everything that will show..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=19718]
Then stashed it where it will go, while the stain dries...

There will be a door....resaw a few parts, from scraps..
Cool
[attachment=19719]
Push stick for shoving THIN parts through....then ran a few grooves, and a couple tenons...
Cool 
[attachment=19720]
Then cut some fancy plywood to fit the frame, and a dry fit of the door..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=19721]
Needs cleaned up, glued up, and a finish...
Cool

Brackets will wait a while,  once the stain is dry, I can add the Amber Shellac...maybe a second coat after that?
Almost moving day..was trying to get done by August 1st....
Confused
Gonna be close, stay tuned
Winkgrin