Woodnet Forums
dust collector pipe - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: dust collector pipe (/showthread.php?tid=7349700)

dust collector pipe - roymonroe - 08-11-2019

What if any problems would be created by using pvc pipe for my dust collector instead or metal pipe?

RE: dust collector pipe - Ohio Mike - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 09:03 PM)roymonroe Wrote: What if any problems would be created by using pvc pipe for my dust collector instead or metal pipe?

My system is all PVC and there have been no problems.

I recommend buying thin-wall PVC.  It goes by several names:  DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) or ASTM D2729 or simply Thin-Wall.  It's cheaper and lighter than other PVC pipe but still plenty strong for dust collection.

You must buy fittings specifically made for thin wall or they won't fit.

I did not glue the joints.  Instead I ran a few self-tapping HVAC screws into the joints to keep them together. This allows for future rearrangement. If the joints leak at all, I can't detect it.

Mike

RE: dust collector pipe - meackerman - 08-11-2019

Static electricity can build up and give you a zap. Never had it happen to my system though.

RE: dust collector pipe - fredhargis - 08-12-2019

What they said^^^^^. the only downside to me is the static thing. My system doesn't shock me, but the pipes do attract dust that sticks to them. To me the biggest disadvantage of PVC is the limitations of sizes; it's pretty much either 4" or 6", and the 6" can be hard to find.

RE: dust collector pipe - roymonroe - 08-12-2019

I'm going to do the PVC pipe because of cost saving

RE: dust collector pipe - Turner52 - 08-12-2019

All as stated above. Never received a shock from mine.Usually have a coat of dust on top of mine. Really not sure if that is from static charge or just plain old gravity doing it's thing to any fines that get in the air. I do a lot of lathe work and have tried everything I have seen to trap the fine sanding dust. Chips and shavings sweep up easily, so I am not really concerned with them even though they are mostly sucked in on all other machines. Only marginally sucessful so far. Collects maybe 80% is my totally uneducated guess. All other dust collection works great. Only other problem is the table saw when not able to use the overhead collection. Just not possible when cutting most of the segmented pieces I cut. Undertable 6" is still only able to draw alimited amount. I can immediatly see the dust in the air if I am too lazy to turn on the collector for just a few cuts. The collector has saved me from breathing in a few trees over the years. I wish i could trap all of the fines.but just don't see that being possible.

RE: dust collector pipe - K. L. McReynolds - 08-16-2019

My DC setup has been 4" PVC since 2008, with flex tube for hookups to 4 machines(moveable for storage). I do have a 30 gallon metal chip collector can just before the DC. Piping is mounted to a concrete wall with plastic J hangers. Never been shocked.

RE: dust collector pipe - Admiral - 08-16-2019

(08-11-2019, 09:53 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: My system is all PVC and there have been no problems.

I recommend buying thin-wall PVC.  It goes by several names:  DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) or ASTM D2729 or simply Thin-Wall.  It's cheaper and lighter than other PVC pipe but still plenty strong for dust collection.

You must buy fittings specifically made for thin wall or they won't fit.

I did not glue the joints.  Instead I ran a few self-tapping HVAC screws into the joints to keep them together. This allows for future rearrangement. If the joints leak at all, I can't detect it.

Mike

Second the DWV thin wall pipe, have had mine in two different shops for 24 years, no problem.  It is a lot cheaper, at least it was when I bought it.  I never did glue them either, friction fit has been fine with no need for screws.  Initially, when the dust explosion scare was in full tilt, I did ground them with wire, but when I moved 18 years ago I didn't put them back on, and all has been good.

RE: dust collector pipe - jstraw - 08-17-2019

I used the green sewer PVC pipe. The green sewer drain pipe is used for the final underground run from a house to the municipal sewer or septic tank, often referred to as “3034” pipe. It is PVC, but a lighter weight than white Schedule 40 DWV (Drain-Waste-Vent) pipe. I liked it because it’s inexpensive and the standard 4” black plastic dust fittings and blast gates that Woodcraft and Rockler sells are a good fit with the inside diameter of the pipe.

There is some minor variance in diameter between pipes in the same batch at the big box store, so I took one of the black plastic elbows with me to find a couple of pipes in the batch that had a good tight fit before buying.

RE: dust collector pipe - fredhargis - 08-17-2019

For those who have Menards nearby, they stock the the 3034 in 6" size, and often have it on sale for about 420 for a 10 foot piece. I had to add some to my system the last time we moved. It's now a mix of my old 2729 (the soil pipe stuff) the the 3034. I didn't much care for the extra weight of the 3034 when I was getting it up to the ceiling, but it fit everything else and I couldn't find the 2729 anywhere near me.