Woodnet Forums
In praise of the lowly acid brush - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: In praise of the lowly acid brush (/showthread.php?tid=7349744)

In praise of the lowly acid brush - Eurekan - 08-13-2019

Am I the only one who didn't do this before? I've always use acid brushes from HF for glues, some stains and the like and they work okay. But recently I wanted to test a finish and rather than grab a regular brush I used an acid brush I could throw away. WOW. I loved it. It's a natural bristle brush and the finish went on smoothly and there was no problem with too much on the brush. I've now used it for a bunch of picture frames and I don't think I'm ever going back to a 1inch brush. Also cleanup! A couple of tablespoons of whatever and it's clean. I've even trimed it to an an angle when needed with no guilt attached of ruining a "good" brush. So versatile.

Why do nobody tell me this? Why?

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Snipe Hunter - 08-13-2019

Acid brush or Chip brush?

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Bill Wilson - 08-14-2019

I love acid brushes for glue and some other things, but the bristles tend to easily fall out, which precludes me using them much for finishing.  If I need a smaller, detail brush, I use an artist's brush.  The bristles are much finer and don't fall out as readily.

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Rob Young - 08-14-2019

I've used acid brushes to work stain (glaze) into corners as a way of "aging" a piece. Also dark wax since the bristles are stiff.

And yes, they do fall out. But not wet finishes so no big thing to pick out the escaped bristles.

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Eurekan - 08-14-2019

Yes we are talking about the acid brush. The metal handle 1/2 wide horse hair brush. I've not had many bristles fall out. I tried to brush them vigorously first to try to lessen that problem.  An unsung hero in the shop.  (I use the chip brushes too but that's another post)

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - bhh - 08-14-2019

What finish type are you using?   That could make a big difference.

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Eurekan - 08-14-2019

I've used them with water based finish and oil based. Works well for both. Not so good with paint.

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Scoony - 08-14-2019

I will usually take a pair of scissors and trim the bristles to fit the job better.

Mostly, I hammer the metal ferrel flat to prevent the fibers from coming out, then trim the end to an angled cut and trim off the errant fibers.

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Mr Eddie - 08-14-2019

(08-14-2019, 08:57 PM)Scoony Wrote: I will usually take a pair of scissors and trim the bristles to fit the job better.

Mostly, I hammer the metal ferrel flat to prevent the fibers from coming out, then trim the end to an angled cut and trim off the errant fibers.

+1

RE: In praise of the lowly acid brush - Stwood_ - 08-14-2019

I've used them for years to spread glue on 3/4 wide material. Especially when assembling rail and stile doors.
Keep a small can of water there nearby. When done, drop the brush in the can and then later rinse it out and use it again.