Woodnet Forums
using holly - color change - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: using holly - color change (/showthread.php?tid=7349769)

using holly - color change - Maverick Rail - 08-15-2019

I have no prior experience w/ holly.  Also no experience on this forum.  I started a project about 2 years ago that had holly for its principal pieces.  The project went on hold for about 1 1/2 years, but was recently taken up again.  I ran out of the originally used stock and recently got more.  The new stock is significantly whiter that the original stock.  If used as is, the color difference would be conspicuous.  However, I seem to recall that the original stock was much whiter than it is now when it was first acquired.  Its currently got a faint yellowish/brownish patina.  What is unclear is whether I'm remembering this correctly.  Does untreated holly change color over time to take on that yellowish/brownish tint?

RE: using holly - color change - Bill Holt - 08-15-2019

Maverick, welcome to the forum.

I have no experience with Holy, but I've not heard of any wood that does not change color over 1 1/2 year period.  Is there an "out of sight" area on the piece you can freshen up the surface with a card scraper?  That should let you know if the original color has darkened.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will chime in, good luck.

RE: using holly - color change - Rob Young - 08-15-2019

Holy will yellow only slightly on its own. Much less than maple or pearwood. That's one reason holly makes for a good decorative element.

As mentioned, try a little light sanding or scraping in an area that wouldn't show or just needs sanding or scraping anyway. Bet it reverts to a lighter color.

Holly is also one of those woods that has to be harvested at the right time (winter I think) otherwise it does go a sickly brown color when dried.

RE: using holly - color change - AHill - 08-15-2019

The amount of yellowing over time is dependent on when it was harvested. Winter is the best time to get whiter pieces that yellow less as they age. The best way to ensure holly stays white over time is to bleach it soon after it's cut.

RE: using holly - color change - Maverick Rail - 08-15-2019

Thanks for the thoughts.  I tried the scrapping and sanding idea, pretty aggressively actually.  While the original lightened a bit, it is still conspicuously different from the new stock.  This might be explained by a difference in the time of harvest between the two (as suggested supra) or an inherent difference between the color of the trees involved.  If anybody else has any knowledge, opinions, or other ideas I'd still be interested.  

May have to resort to staining or dying the new stuff.  Don't really want to, as it's an intarsia project w/ lots of pieces to go (>500 total and I'm only about 2/3 through) and lots of sanding.  Each piece would have to be stained/dyed individually once its made to fit.

RE: using holly - color change - barryvabeach - 08-15-2019

(08-15-2019, 03:55 PM)Maverick Rail Wrote: Thanks for the thoughts.  I tried the scrapping and sanding idea, pretty aggressively actually.  While the original lightened a bit, it is still conspicuously different from the new stock.  This might be explained by a difference in the time of harvest between the two (as suggested supra) or an inherent difference between the color of the trees involved.  If anybody else has any knowledge, opinions, or other ideas I'd still be interested.  

May have to resort to staining or dying the new stuff.  Don't really want to, as it's an intarsia project w/ lots of pieces to go (>500 total and I'm only about 2/3 through) and lots of sanding.  Each piece would have to be stained/dyed individually once its made to fit.

I have used holly pretty frequently.  I did a piece a few years ago, and still have some scrap lying around. I went and compared it to the finished piece and they both look similar.  The holly on the finished piece is a little more yellow - though that is probably the effect of a few coats of finish.  How you tried cutting out a few of the pieces and put them next to each other, with some of the other pieces mixed in and ask someone to look.  A lot of times we get so absorbed in a project ,  we see a difference that no one else would notice.  My guess is that with over 500 pieces, there will be a ton of variation, and no one would ever notice that a few of the holly pieces in one area are slightly lighter that some in a different area.  It is like looking at marble tiles-  at first they all look the same color, then when you study them a little more closely you see a lot of variation in color.

RE: using holly - color change - Mr Eddie - 08-15-2019

Where are you located? And how much do you need? Maybe another WN member can help you out with some from their stash.

Lonnie

RE: using holly - color change - Maverick Rail - 08-15-2019

Good thought on trying to mix the pieces.  However, those I've cut from the old stock are already cut and glued in place.  The part needing finished would be all on one side, and directly juxtaposed to the old pieces.  The contrast, though not earth-shattering, would be readily apparent - almost like having the old section in a shadow and the new in bright light.

I'm in North Dallas.  The new stock was had via ebay.  Don't know anyone around here who carries it.  I probably need a piece approx. 24" x 6" x 1/2".  If nothing can be had or made to look closer, the last resort alternative will be to find some plain grained maple w/ the same shade.  Any other species to consider if I have to go that way?

RE: using holly - color change - KyleD - 08-16-2019

(08-15-2019, 11:26 PM)Maverick Rail Wrote:  Any other species to consider if I have to go that way?

Up North we use Aspen when we want a white appearing wood. I have always thought it looked a little grayer or yellower than the internet pics of Holly. You could try looking for some aspen.