Woodnet Forums
A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles (/showthread.php?tid=7349821)

A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - paulmon - 08-18-2019

I was not satisfied with the different handles I have on my bee hive boxes. But I found one that was quick to make and made a few minor changes to suit my purposes. I'm pretty happy with it and I'll be using it for all of my boxes in the future and will change the handles on existing hives as opportunity presents itself.

RE: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - Dumb_Polack - 08-19-2019

Paul? 

That's a VERY cool way of making the handles.  When i made some boxes last year I put the box over the dado blades, with the blades lowered, turned the saw on and cranked up the blade 10 revolutions.  I then bounced the fence over a bit and repeated the process.  For the short side I put a witness mark on my fence and repeated the process.  I'll admit they're not as perfect as your method.  If I ever need to make more (I have 2 hives this year, but 2 more in storage), I'll use your method.

RE: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - Timberwolf - 08-19-2019

(08-18-2019, 11:17 PM)paulmon Wrote: I was not satisfied with the different handles I have on my bee hive boxes. But I found one that was quick to make and made a few minor changes to suit my purposes. I'm pretty happy with it and I'll be using it for all of my boxes in the future and will change the handles on existing hives as opportunity presents itself.

Very clever !!!!!!!!!!!
Cool
Cool

RE: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - Big Dave - 08-21-2019

That's slick as hell!
Yes 

Cool
Cool
Cool

RE: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - Stwood_ - 08-27-2019

Yes, pretty neat. That must be pretty close as to how the manufacturers of bee boxes do their handle holes.

Mine, I just position and set the dado up a 5/8", then I have a start and stop tape mark on the fence and also the table. Drop the box down on the blade, and push forward to the stop mark.

RE: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - Phil Thien - 08-27-2019

That is the bee’s knees.

RE: A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles - stav - 08-28-2019

That's a really slick idea.