Woodnet Forums
Odd cabinet corners - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Odd cabinet corners (/showthread.php?tid=7350612)

Odd cabinet corners - blueamber - 10-04-2019

I'm new here and old everywhere else!  Just a frustrated wood tinkerer...

Pic is created with tinkercad.  I am making a cabinet of sorts, 3 sides and a top... the sides right now are 1/2" ply, the 'corners' are 1x4 pine, 45 degree cuts to make ends pointed  <===> like that, then blind rabbets connect the sides to the corners.  Cabinet is about 28" high, 14 deep, 24 wide (pic not to scale) Eventually I will make triangle corners to fit in, .... so how badly am I doing this?  I would like great connections where corners meet corners, but don't see anything but glue and clamping...

RE: Odd cabinet corners - Stwood_ - 10-04-2019

You cut put some spline joints in.

RE: Odd cabinet corners - KyleD - 10-05-2019

(10-04-2019, 07:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: You cut put some spline joints in.

That would be a good job for my old Ryobi mini biscuit cutter and some R1 biscuits. Would have to get a little creative to reference on those 22 1/2 deg joints though.

RE: Odd cabinet corners - Willyou - 10-05-2019

Very interesting project. The triangular corners are going to be all end grain to end grain and won''t provide a lot of strength. If you think that you need to add some strength, you might consider drilling in some dowels after it is all glued up. If the finish will be clear, just do it neatly with good spacing and they become a visual feature. Maybe add some dowels along other edges, needed or not, just to carry through the theme.