Woodnet Forums
wood burning tool recommendations - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: wood burning tool recommendations (/showthread.php?tid=7350654)

wood burning tool recommendations - DogwoodTales - 10-07-2019

I'm in the market for a detailing wood burning kit. Lots of options out there.
Any recommendations from experience you can offer and features/quality to look for?
thanks
Ray

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - SteveS - 10-07-2019

I don't do much in the way of pyrography, but I bought this kit and it has served me well enough over the years.

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - Timberwolf - 10-08-2019

(10-07-2019, 05:34 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I'm in the market for a detailing wood burning kit. Lots of options out there.
Any recommendations from experience you can offer and features/quality to look for?
thanks
Ray

I use the Razertip pens but made my own power unit using surplus parts consisting of a small transformer and a Variac.. Razertip has a good reputation..I don't think you would go wrong with any model they sell..

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - stoppy - 10-08-2019

(10-07-2019, 05:34 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I'm in the market for a detailing wood burning kit. Lots of options out there.
thanks
Ray

I have the Razertip also.  Used it to burn logos into custom bats for the grandkids.  Am happy with it.

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - fall - 10-10-2019

Plus one on the Razer brand

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - Gary G™ - 10-10-2019

Got one like this for momma:
https://www.amazon.com/TRUArt-Professional-Woodburning-Detailer-Temperature/dp/B06Y5PXZ31/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?keywords=pyrography+kit&qid=1570750882&sprefix=pyrog&sr=8-17

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - DogwoodTales - 10-10-2019

Gary, I’ve been looking over that one too. It’s a little less than a razertip. Does it work well?

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - Gary G™ - 10-11-2019

I believe it’s plenty good; Judy doesn’t use it much.
I’ve used it a few times to sign small spirit carvings I send to the grandkids.
I’m no pyrographic artist.

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - DogwoodTales - 10-11-2019

I’m no such artist either and not sure if I will ever aspire to it, but I want something of better quality than the hobbyist junk from the box store to do some accurate and quality burning on carvings and such. So the prices jump from $30 to $200 really quick.
I have a daughter who might make more use of it than I would though.

RE: wood burning tool recommendations - fall - 10-11-2019

(10-10-2019, 06:43 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Got one like this for momma:
https://www.amazon.com/TRUArt-Professional-Woodburning-Detailer-Temperature/dp/B06Y5PXZ31/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?keywords=pyrography+kit&qid=1570750882&sprefix=pyrog&sr=8-17
From my experiance I have found changing tips is a pain and most people that burn all the time do not use ones that they have to change tips. I would subscribe to a wood burning forum and review how many are using ones that they have to change out the tips.
Good luck on your search.