Woodnet Forums
You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often (/showthread.php?tid=7350767)

You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - Admiral - 10-14-2019

As they cut HS shop classes left and right..... at least this community college will be picking up the slack I guess....

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-14/cerritos-college-donation-woodworking

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - farmerj111 - 10-14-2019

That's wonderful!  Whoever the gentleman is, he made my day as well as many kid's days in the future.

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - MarkSingleton - 10-14-2019

That's a cool story!  Thanks for posting it.

Cool
Cool
Cool

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - handi - 10-15-2019

As I work with a number of woodworking retailers and consult to the wood industry, I can tell you that more and more high schools, and even middle schools are re-instating shop classes. 

The WMIA (Wood Manufacturer’s Industrial Association) is heavily involved in promoting trades education, and there are non-profit groups as well. 

Kreg is a big supporter of school programs as is MicroJig. MicroJig is currently donating a pair of their GR100 GRR-RIPPERs for every table saw in any public high school shop program in the US. No strings attached, the shop teachers simply fill out the form at www.microjig.com/schools They have set up more than 400 schools around the country in the first year. If you know any shop teachers, let them know.

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - Admiral - 10-16-2019

(10-15-2019, 09:13 PM)handi Wrote: As I work with a number of woodworking retailers and consult to the wood industry, I can tell you that more and more high schools, and even middle schools are re-instating shop classes.

Ralph:  that's great news.

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - Handplanesandmore - 10-16-2019

"metal cutting tool!"

The reporter seemed to be lazy enough not to do a bit more homework before she published her piece. At least, as a reporter, curiosity should be her strength.

Simon

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - Admiral - 10-16-2019

(10-16-2019, 08:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: "metal cutting tool!"

The reporter seemed to be lazy enough not to do a bit more homework before she published her piece. At least, as a reporter, curiosity should be her strength.

Simon

yeah, saw that too; i think bad grammar, should mean a cutting tool made of metal, which i also agree is pretty lame, given the piece is about woodworking.

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - AHill - 10-16-2019

Cerritos College has a very good woodworking program, with several woodworking shops. Lie-Nielsen does their LA traveling roadshow there a lot. There are a lot of furniture design places and even furniture manufacturing businesses in the LA metroplex, so it's a good deal when they get endowments like this.

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - toolmiser - 10-16-2019

I talked with our Middle School teacher last week about schools ending shop classes. He said he thought a lot of it around here was because they couldn't get teachers. Not a lot of colleges offer it anymore.

RE: You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often - wjt - 10-17-2019

(10-15-2019, 09:13 PM)handi Wrote: As I work with a number of woodworking retailers and consult to the wood industry, I can tell you that more and more high schools, and even middle schools are re-instating shop classes. 

The WMIA (Wood Manufacturer’s Industrial Association) is heavily involved in promoting trades education, and there are non-profit groups as well. 

Kreg is a big supporter of school programs as is MicroJig. MicroJig is currently donating a pair of their GR100 GRR-RIPPERs for every table saw in any public high school shop program in the US. No strings attached, the shop teachers simply fill out the form at www.microjig.com/schools They have set up more than 400 schools around the country in the first year. If you know any shop teachers, let them know.

Ralph:

I have sent this information to four wood shop teachers in my area who I have contacted previously. There are a few more that I will reach out to as well.

Thanks for telling us about this program.

Bill