Woodnet Forums
Pen Bushing Holder - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pen Bushing Holder (/showthread.php?tid=7350862)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pen Bushing Holder - Del Hilburn - 10-21-2019

I have done a lot of searching for a nice pen bushing holder
I have only found two commercially available models and just a few DIY ideas out there
So I decided to develop my own 

I wanted a system that could be expanded if I needed more space
It had to be cost effective 

So here is what I cam up with
A system of small drawer like holders and a rack to put them in
I made holders with stems to hold the bushings 
each holder has a place for a label and one or more stems to hold the bushings
I also developed a drawer for small parts

Each rack holds eight of the small bushing holders
and each rack has interlocks so they san be stacked

I designed all of the pieces so they can be printed on a 3d printer

So right now I have space for 64 sets of bushings
and the total cost to me is about $20.00 as I already had the 3d printer

If anyone has a better idea or anything I could do to make it better I would like to hear about it

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - Woodshop - 10-21-2019

Very slick
Cool

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - greenacres2 - 10-21-2019

That's awesome!! One of the coolest things i've seen in a while. Any thought of making a few to market?
earl

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - Big Dave - 10-21-2019

That is pretty slick! The best I came up with a small divided box used for fishing lures from Cabela's. Yours is a lot easier to work with...

Cool
Cool

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - AHill - 10-22-2019

Very clever. I store mine in a fishing tackle / crafts plastic box with compartments. I just write the pen type in a Sharpie on the clear top. Similar method for my drill bits. All the instructions are put into sheet protectors which are then put into a plastic notebook.

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - Del Hilburn - 10-22-2019

(10-21-2019, 05:08 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: That's awesome!!  One of the coolest things i've seen in a while.  Any thought of making a few to market?
earl

Greenacres2

I thought about marketing the deign but I am not sure what kind of market there is for something like this

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - greenacres2 - 10-22-2019

(10-22-2019, 02:33 PM)Del Hilburn Wrote:  

Greenacres2

I thought about marketing the deign but I am not sure what kind of market there is for something like this

Probably very small market.  Random pen turners, one at a time.  Probably not a scalable market, but presented as something with a 2-3 week lead time--you'd probable sell one here and there on order--i don't think i'd produce a bunch in advance.  I'd not expect 2-day delivery (sort of like John Austin making turning tools--nice product at a very fair price, and he makes it clear he's a one man show.  I've never been disappointed in his work)  

I just looked at my bushing chart, and it looks like i'm at 63 different combinations, couple of sets of the most common.  I'd probably want storage for 80 or so--which is about what i bought in 13 dram pop-top containers last winter...just haven't made the rack or labels yet!!  Maybe this winter....
earl

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - Arlin Eastman - 10-24-2019

I know for me and the vets we go thru bushings and I have to keep a stock on hand.  I would love to have a dozen or so of them.

Nice work and good thinking in and out the box.
Yes

Just a quick question.

Why 1 stem, 2 stem, and 3 stem ones??

I know what we use is 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 10.5mm, 12mm, 12.5mm, 3/8" and there are 6 or 7 that are just for a select pens kits. So I need at least 3 pare for each on what you have so I do not know if it would need a 2 stem or 3 stem.

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - Del Hilburn - 10-25-2019

(10-24-2019, 06:56 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I know for me and the vets we go thru bushings and I have to keep a stock on hand.  I would love to have a dozen or so of them.

Nice work and good thinking in and out the box.
Yes

Just a quick question.

Why 1 stem, 2 stem, and 3 stem ones??

I know what we use is 7mm,  8mm,  10mm,  10.5mm,  12mm,  12.5mm, 3/8" and there are 6 or 7 that are just for a select pens kits.  So I need at least 3 pare for each on what you have so I do not know if it would need a 2 stem or 3 stem.

Arlin

The stems are just under 2 inches tall
Depending on the length of the bushings determines how many will fit on a stem
In my case, I needed 1, 2, and 3 stems to hold the different bushings
Each holder is holding one complete set of bushings for a given pen kit

After putting it all together I found that 1 and 2 stems seem to be the most common
I only had a few bushing sets  that required the 3 stem version
As you can see from the pictures, the one stem version can hold 4 of the 7mm bushings
This bushing set seems to be common to a large number of pen kits

If I get enough interest I would be willing to make some sets up and sell them

RE: Pen Bushing Holder - greenacres2 - 10-25-2019

I'd be interested for sure.
earl