Woodnet Forums
Off center chuck suggestions please - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Off center chuck suggestions please (/showthread.php?tid=7350905)

Off center chuck suggestions please - stoppy - 10-24-2019

I’d like to try eccentric turning. Suggestions for a chuck please.

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Big Dave - 10-24-2019

The last time I saw this done the guy doing it was using a regular 3" faceplate and all he did was loosen two of the screws holding the piece and rotate it just a bit before re-securing the the two removed screws. Seemed to work okay for him...

Dave

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Turner52 - 10-24-2019

The idea of using a faceplate never crossed my mind. Great idea. I will definitly give it a try.

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Arlin Eastman - 10-24-2019

Right now I am in the process of making an off center chuck out of two pieces of 1"x6" Aluminum.  When I am done I will show everyone what I made and either give the instructions to those here who ask for it or make and sell them.

I am pretty sure it will be able to do 72 different positions including center.

I just finished my version of the Accu-Slice machine and it works wonderfully.  It only cost about $70 in parts but will figure that out later.  The one I have now is version 4.
Crazy

I did it so each part can be taken down and stored instead of one huge piece but I think I have only 3 pieces total.
Yes

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Woodshop - 10-27-2019

(10-24-2019, 12:29 PM)Turner52 Wrote: The idea of using a faceplate never crossed my mind. Great idea. I will definitly give it a try.

don't forget to add counter weight
For Fun I turned this from a single block of cherry. it was a woodturning challenge we use to do on the WoodNet

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Turner52 - 10-28-2019

How do you add the counterweight and at what point is it needed? On small ligth weight can you get away withoutit. I have never done off center and did not realize you needed a counterweight. Guess I will need to youtube it. Any of your favorites would be appreciated.

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Woodshop - 10-28-2019

(10-28-2019, 12:51 PM)Turner52 Wrote: How do you add the counterweight and at what point is it needed? On small ligth weight can you get away withoutit. I have never done off center and did not realize you needed a counterweight. Guess I will need to youtube it. Any of your favorites would be appreciated.
You add it if the lathe shakes to much for comfort. but not always needed. I just screwed some scraps directly across from the turning until it levels out some.

I didn't add any for this one

RE: Off center chuck suggestions please - Turner52 - 10-29-2019

Thanks for the answers