Woodnet Forums
chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza (/showthread.php?tid=7351132)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - Phil Thien - 11-09-2019

Sounds like they did a good job.

If I’d had hired them, I’d consider it a win.

Of course, had I hired them they’d likely have burned my house down.

Me <- Bad luck with contractors.

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - K. L. McReynolds - 11-09-2019

Always had garage doors with expansion springs, which I could change. Present house has torsion springs on an old(possibly 1965 wood door). I used to help company carpenters change torsion springs(made the rods out of rebar), so knew how. But, how many turns is fairly critical and this door has two different length spring, so when one broke, I called the pro. He was surprised when I specified changing both springs, but the cost for the other w/labor was less than a service call---no brainer.

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - EricU - 11-10-2019

My impression is that garage door companies work for cheap.  They want to sell you stuff for $$.

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - Tapper - 11-16-2019

"All's well that ends well" - Shakespeare

Doug

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza Nightmare flashback - Pirate - 11-25-2019

Chimney Cap brings back nightmare working with chimney sweep, and mason when I was 30 tears old.
Had to use 50' magnesium ladder to reach top of tall approx. 3' wide chimney. Had less than 6" on each side of ladder!
And could only put base of ladder about 6' from the building!
Another time on ladder trying to pull brush up, it got stuck. Boss said to climb on top of chimney and use my legs to pull it up.
I climbed down and told him to have the guy pulling the brush down to do it. He was a Fireman working a 2nd job.
Then I got a real job!

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza Nightmare flashback - CLETUS - 11-26-2019

(11-25-2019, 10:18 PM)Pirate Wrote: Had to use 50' magnesium ladder to reach top of tall approx. 3' wide chimney. Had less than 6" on each side of ladder!
And could only put base of ladder about 6' from the building!

I'd have been shaking so bad that ladder would have hopped off the chimney.

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - daddo - 11-26-2019

You're lucky. I have a 18x18 brick chimney in this old house that used to serve a pot belly stove in the center of the house.
The ground is shifting underneath and affecting a wall, so I have to remove it completely. It's hidden behind the walls of course.
Never a dull moment around here.

RE: chimey mortor crown repair.. wowza - EricU - 11-28-2019

A friend had a chimney collapse.  Set him off on a big renovation project.  I wish I had an excuse like that, everyone thinks I'm nuts to want to tear down our chimney.  but it makes the whole house colder.