Woodnet Forums
Knife block build (pic heavy) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Knife block build (pic heavy) (/showthread.php?tid=7351149)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - TRW - 11-07-2019

Outstanding job!  I love it!

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - BrokenOlMarine - 11-07-2019

Very well thought out, and nice options for storage. 
Big Grin

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - OneStaple - 11-08-2019

Thanks for the nice words, all.

For a finish, I used two coats of Arm-R-Seal after sanding to 1000 (320 on the end grain). Each coat was applied amply and allowed to soak in for a few minutes (longer on the first coat), then wiped clean. This provides a nice "in the wood" finish that I'm fond of and feels smooth to the touch. I realize that it's not a thick layer of finish and thus not tons of protection, but similar finishing approaches have served me well on other projects that don't see tons of abuse.

Tyler

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 11-08-2019

Whoa.

Now I've added to my growing list of things to build.

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - msweig - 11-08-2019

Interesting design, and looks really good. I like the magnetic sides (though I will not be incorporating that into the knife block I've been building recently, as I don't trust my 5 and 7 year olds to be able to get a knife off without angling up/down and hitting one next to it).

Do you have a couple of nakiris in that collection? I've got one. Love it, but dang are those delicate blades. Do an amazing job with most vegetables though.
Smile

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - TomFromStLouis - 11-08-2019

Really nice work here. Love when highly figured crotch wood gets used well as you do here. Bravo!

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - Stwood_ - 11-09-2019

Sweet. I really like it. Nice job

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - pam howard - 11-09-2019

Beautiful!! That thing holds a lot of knives in a small space.

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - Aram - 11-09-2019

Great work, beautiful piece.

RE: Knife block build (pic heavy) - OneStaple - 11-09-2019

msweig Wrote:Do you have a couple of nakiris in that collection? I've got one. Love it, but dang are those delicate blades. Do an amazing job with most vegetables though. Smile
Yup! One stainless and one carbon steel. I agree that they're wonderful for cutting veggies. There's also a bunka (looks like the nakiris but with a point on it) that we love. Similar, but the tip gives extra flexibility in what you can use it for.

pam howard Wrote:Beautiful!! That thing holds a lot of knives in a small space.
That was one of my goals (without making it awkward to grab one). I can fit roughly 30 knives in/on the block, of course depending on their size.

Tyler