Woodnet Forums
Knife throwing target? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Knife throwing target? (/showthread.php?tid=7351302)

Knife throwing target? - Aram - 11-17-2019

Has anyone made a knife throwing target? The target part is easy -- I'll cut 2x (whatever I bought, 10, I think?) into 3" lengths, glue them in rows with end grain exposed, then glue the rows together to make a rectangle. Probably about 2' wide by 30 - 36" tall. I can stick paper targets onto it. It's the stand i'm not sure about. I'd like to make something like an easel I can take out into the yard, and use to support the target a couple feet above ground.

I found this on a knife throwing site:

The Roland Zwosta design

But I'm not sure how the angled top is held together. I would think joinery. (?) Too much work. I am looking for something simple but sturdy, with bolts, screws, joist hangers, that kind of thing. Something I could bang out quickly, and then get back to real woodworking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Knife throwing target? - Bob10 - 11-17-2019

(11-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Aram Wrote: Has anyone made a knife throwing target? The target part is easy -- I'll cut 2x (whatever I bought, 10, I think?) into 3" lengths, glue them in rows with end grain exposed, then glue the rows together to make a rectangle. Probably about 2' wide by 30 - 36" tall. I can stick paper targets onto it. It's the stand i'm not sure about. I'd like to make something like an easel I can take out into the yard, and use to support the target a couple feet above ground.

The Roland Zwosta design

But I'm not sure how the angled top is held together. I would think joinery. (?) Too much work. I am looking for something simple but sturdy, with bolts, screws, joist hangers, that kind of thing. Something I could bang out quickly, and then get back to real woodworking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hinges

RE: Knife throwing target? - Aram - 11-17-2019

(11-17-2019, 10:43 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Hinges

Well that's just smart

Cool
Yes
Yes
Yes

RE: Knife throwing target? - Bob10 - 11-17-2019

(11-17-2019, 10:47 PM)Aram Wrote: Well that's just smart

Cool
Yes
Yes
Yes

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=256852

RE: Knife throwing target? - mike4244 - 11-20-2019

(11-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Aram Wrote: Has anyone made a knife throwing target? The target part is easy -- I'll cut 2x (whatever I bought, 10, I think?) into 3" lengths, glue them in rows with end grain exposed, then glue the rows together to make a rectangle. Probably about 2' wide by 30 - 36" tall. I can stick paper targets onto it. It's the stand i'm not sure about. I'd like to make something like an easel I can take out into the yard, and use to support the target a couple feet above ground.

The Roland Zwosta design

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Never made a knife throwing target but made a target for air rifles. I tacked an old ceiling tile to a piece of plywood and used a picture of Adam Schiff for the target.
mike

RE: Knife throwing target? - Cooler - 11-20-2019

When I was in college the dorm doors were solid core.

One of the students used the interior of the door as a knife throwing target.  His roommate complained.  He said at the very least that the door should be locked when he was doing his knife throwing.

He said, "Once I throw the knife, you cannot open the door quickly enough to get hit with a flying knife."  It is probably true but did not make his roommate feel any more secure.

He had to pay for a new door at the end of the year. 

End grain wood flooring is uniform in thickness.  I don't know if  you can order small quantities though.

Kaswell is the major player in that field:  http://kaswell.com/end-grain/

You could explain what you are using if for and see if they have any "seconds" to sell.