Woodnet Forums
Small screwdriver/drill - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small screwdriver/drill (/showthread.php?tid=7351326)

Pages: 1 2

Small screwdriver/drill - dry heat - 11-19-2019

I want to buy a straight, easy to handle, small battery powered screw driver/drill. I would prefer one with a Jacobs style chuck rather than the quick  coupling ¼” style so I can use various size bits etc. I know I can get a ¼’  stem with a Jacobs  chuck but that’s just another part to keep track of. Doesn’t need to be real powerful just enough to drill pilot holes in hardwood and drive small screws. Want the whole shebang, drill, battery and charger. Any suggestions, preferences etc.

Thanks, Ed

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - jlanciani - 11-19-2019

Bosch PS-32; https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Brushless-PS32-02-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B00HUCUF4W

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - sweensdv2 - 11-19-2019

I have both the Bosch PS-32 and a Milwaukee M12, like them both.

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - Stwood_ - 11-19-2019

(11-19-2019, 05:21 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I have both the Bosch PS-32 and a Milwaukee M12, like them both.

I also have both. No preference, though I seem to pick the Bosch up first as I have 3 of them.

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - mike4244 - 11-20-2019

(11-19-2019, 12:59 PM)dry heat Wrote: I want to buy a straight, easy to handle, small battery powered screw driver/drill. I would prefer one with a Jacobs style chuck rather than the quick  coupling ¼” style so I can use various size bits etc. I know I can get a ¼’  stem with a Jacobs  chuck but that’s just another part to keep track of. Doesn’t need to be real powerful just enough to drill pilot holes in hardwood and drive small screws. Want the whole shebang, drill, battery and charger. Any suggestions, preferences etc.

Thanks, Ed

Ed, I bought a 19.2 volt Craftsmen drill because of the light weight . It came with the charger and one battery . Recently bought a spare battery that has twice the run time for $38.00 from Amazon. I have 3 Dewalt drills , 9/12/ and 18 volts. The 18 volt drill is the only one working as the others need batteries. I will never buy batteries for these two drills as the cost is almost as much as buying the entire kit.
Craftsmen batteries are Lithium. This type of battery runs full blast til dead, gives no warning that you need to change batteries. Not a problem with a spare battery. The chuck is a standard Jacobs keyless chuck. I think the Craftsmen drills are 20 volts now. Box stores do not carry the 19.2 volt version, had to buy batteries online. I ordered the batteries 3
TongueM on Saturday and got batteries on Sunday about noon. First time I ever got a delivery on Sunday.
mike

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - fishhh4 - 11-20-2019

I had a Skil That lasted forever... unfortunately forever does not include at the present time.
With case and bits
Pistol grip

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - appletonrc - 11-20-2019

I bought the M12 drill and driver from Milwaukee and use the crap out of each of them. Compared to my 20+ year old 14v dewault, the MT drill has plenty of snot. The little impact drives screws with ease. Its so much easier when you are trying to drill or remove a bolt in an awkward location, like over your head. The old Dewalt mostly collects dust now.

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - bhh - 11-20-2019

Bought the Ridgid 12V and used it professionally for about 8 years.   Like the Lifetime Service Agreement on batteries -- working on the third set at no cost to replace.   Lots of torque. Currently they sell a 2 speed version, mine is one. Compact enough to get inside things to work (I repaired furniture including upholstery and casegoods) https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-2-Speed-Drill-Kit-R82005K/205754094

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - dry heat - 11-21-2019

Thanks for all the input. Looks like there are some good choices, have to see which one fits my needs best.
Ed

RE: Small screwdriver/drill - Cooler - 11-22-2019

Amazon is now selling aftermarket batteries for Milwaukee.  I don't know how good they are, but they are vastly cheaper than the OEM batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-ion-Replacement-Milwaukee-M12-48-11-2411/dp/B07R8LMHDK/ref=sr_1_60_sspa?crid=2BFQNDLG0UOS&keywords=batteries+for+milwaukee+tools&qid=1574433794&sprefix=batteries+for+milw%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-60-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQkFNS0c2Rk9COVA2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM3MTczMVM2RTE3NkhJM1hCTSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDY3MjU2MUdOQ1BLMDlDTU9FVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I would consider the cheaper batteries an advantage for Milwaukee.