Woodnet Forums
Bath Fitter - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bath Fitter (/showthread.php?tid=7351584)

Pages: 1 2

Bath Fitter - ChuckL2 - 12-04-2019

We are considering having Bath Fitter install their product over our tub and tub/shower walls. They would also replace our shower door.  Looking for customer experience, suggestions and recommendations.  We have concluded that it is impractical for us to "gut" the bathroom.  The existing walls are sound.  The tub is a color that is long out of fashion.  We cannot purchase a toilet or sink to match the existing tub.

RE: Bath Fitter - barnowl - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 09:56 AM)ChuckL2 Wrote: We are considering having Bath Fitter install their product over our tub and tub/shower walls. They would also replace our shower door.  Looking for customer experience, suggestions and recommendations.  We have concluded that it is impractical for us to "gut" the bathroom.  The existing walls are sound.  The tub is a color that is long out of fashion.  We cannot purchase a toilet or sink to match the existing tub.

We did ours a few years ago.

We compared Bath Fitter with Rebath, in great detail.

There was NO comparison.

Rebath quality and finished product was far superior in our opinion. 

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7104163&highlight=Rebath

RE: Bath Fitter - Cooler - 12-04-2019

Both of those companies fit an vacuum formed acrylic cover for the walls and tub. 

The local bathtub re-glazing contractor also uses an acrylic finish.  So I don't see the real advantage if the tile work is still solid.  I would just have the walls and tub re-glazed. 

This is a job for professionals.  They have to etch the surface first for good adhesion and I understand spraying the acrylic requires some skill. 

If you have a cast iron tub, it will retain that same walk on feel.

I am re-tiling my bathroom now, but I will have the tub re-glazed.  It is cast iron and would be difficult to remove and replace.  It is for a rarely used guest bathroom.

RE: Bath Fitter - woodgrain - 12-14-2019

(12-04-2019, 09:56 AM)ChuckL2 Wrote: We are considering having Bath Fitter install their product over our tub and tub/shower walls. They would also replace our shower door.  Looking for customer experience, suggestions and recommendations.  We have concluded that it is impractical for us to "gut" the bathroom.  The existing walls are sound.  The tub is a color that is long out of fashion.  We cannot purchase a toilet or sink to match the existing tub.

I looked at it many years ago.  At that time, the one weak design point was integration at the drain.  At the time the local company didn't pull the drain basket to install the liner under the drain collar. there was essentially a seam where the liner terminated at the drain.  technically this could allow water to get between the liner and the old tub.

I would just check to see if they have updated there installation procedure.

RE: Bath Fitter - ChuckL2 - 12-20-2019

(12-14-2019, 09:13 PM)woodgrain Wrote: I looked at it many years ago.  At that time, the one weak design point was integration at the drain.  At the time the local company didn't pull the drain basket to install the liner under the drain collar. there was essentially a seam where the liner terminated at the drain.  technically this could allow water to get between the liner and the old tub.

I would just check to see if they have updated there installation procedure.

Thank you.  I would not have thought to ask about the drain.

(12-04-2019, 01:10 PM)Cooler Wrote: Both of those companies fit an vacuum formed acrylic cover for the walls and tub. 

The local bathtub re-glazing contractor also uses an acrylic finish.  So I don't see the real advantage if the tile work is still solid.  I would just have the walls and tub re-glazed. 

This is a job for professionals.  They have to etch the surface first for good adhesion and I understand spraying the acrylic requires some skill. 

If you have a cast iron tub, it will retain that same walk on feel.

I am re-tiling my bathroom now, but I will have the tub re-glazed.  It is cast iron and would be difficult to remove and replace.  It is for a rarely used guest bathroom.
Thank you.  I would be ok with re-glazing the tile, but am hesitant to re-glaze the tub.  From what I have read elsewhere, re-glazing the tub could prove to be a really temporary fix.

(12-04-2019, 10:31 AM)barnowl Wrote: We did ours a few years ago.

We compared Bath Fitter with Rebath, in great detail.

There was NO comparison.

Rebath quality and finished product was far superior in our opinion. 

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7104163&highlight=Rebath
Thank you.  I will look into Rebath. --- Called them. Unfortunately they do not service Connecticut.

RE: Bath Fitter - barnowl - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 02:10 PM)ChuckL2 Wrote: Thank you.  I will look into Rebath. --- Called them.  Unfortunately they do not service Connecticut.

I'd call their Corporate Headquarters.

I can't understand why there's no longer a presence in CT.

https://www.rebath.com/bathroom-remodeling-company/

After seeng Bath Fitters products as well, we hired the ReBath company in Eastern Ma, and for whatever reason, they have changed their name.

But I recognize the owner in the pictures.... Jennifer Bilo...

http://www.baystateluxurybath.com/

And I will say, they were absolutely super.

Super product, super installation.

The gent that actually did the installation came from New Hampshire.... every day !!! 

So, based on that, I wouldn't think CT would be out of the question, unless there are territorial issues.

Yet, looking at it a little, it looks like the dealer in CT has closed up....

But there are others in MA and NY that should be able to acomodate your needs.

Yes, ReBath is THAT good.

,[40.648900999999995,-74.0559247]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4]https://www.google.com/search?q=re+bath+in+connecticut&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=41520189,-72250578,70889&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwjL3JTn_sTmAhUxh-AKHYQlDhwQjGp6BAgLECo&tbs=lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m5!1u15!2m2!15m1!1shas_1wheelchair_1accessible_1entrance!4e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[43.1080723,-71.3155724],[40.648900999999995,-74.0559247]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

RE: Bath Fitter - Cooler - 12-23-2019

(12-20-2019, 02:08 PM)ChuckL2 Wrote: Thank you.  I would be ok with re-glazing the tile, but am hesitant to re-glaze the tub.  From what I have read elsewhere, re-glazing the tub could prove to be a really temporary fix.
It is a temporary fix.  The life expectancy is 7 to  10 years.  About the same as the life expectancy of the finish on the similarly finished bathfitter insert. 

From what I read this should be done professionally.  There are acid etches required for good adhesion.  But still the numbers I am hearing are about $300.00 for the tub.

For me,  it is the guest bathroom tub which almost never gets used, so that 7 to 10 years probably will last the my lifetime-- or until I sell the house. 

For you, it is a decision to make. 

I've stood on one of those tub inserts and it was not a solid feel.  I guess you can get used to it, but slight flexing felt foreign to me.

RE: Bath Fitter - JosephP - 12-23-2019

My parents had their extra tub re-glazed probably 15 years ago if not more.  It doesn't get frequent use, but shows NO signs of wear.  Still looks new (white).