Woodnet Forums
chisel holder - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: chisel holder (/showthread.php?tid=7351845)

Pages: 1 2

RE: chisel holder - mstens - 12-22-2019

(12-16-2019, 08:23 PM)mongo Wrote: My favorite is the one from lienielsen.  It is not inexpensive however it is very well made.

Before I got that I used a normal eclipse guide.

I take it it's really worth the 15x uplift in price?

After 20 some years, I think it's about time to replace my eclipse..

RE: chisel holder - mongo - 12-22-2019

Worth it to me... yes. Makes things faster easier and I am not fighting the tool the whole time to keep things square. I have little enough time in the shop to spend it fighting tools, and it because its easy I am more likely to sharpen as needed..... other people will disagree. Some people like to work wood some people like to work on tools. Neither is wrong(if its a hobby) just figure out where you fall on that spectrum.

RE: chisel holder - cputnam - 12-22-2019

(12-22-2019, 04:41 PM)mstens Wrote: I take it it's really worth the 15x uplift in price?

After 20 some years, I think it's about time to replace my eclipse..

Note that the LN skew holders only work with LN skew angles. The LV skew attachment will take pretty much anything.

(12-22-2019, 08:50 PM)cputnam Wrote: Note that the LN skew holders only work with LN skew angles.  The LV skew attachment will take pretty much anything.

The mk II?  I wasn't a fan of the mk I when I tried it. I had issues getting it to clamp as securely, and the narrow wheel was a detriment for me (I like the narrow wheel on the eclipse for hitting the edges of irons).

Or, is there another I've not seen.. I haven't actually been shopping, I'd pretty much figured I'd just get another eclipse (or a clone really).

RE: chisel holder - bandit571 - 12-22-2019

Hmmm...well, here is what I have been using...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=22404]
Old MK1 plate to set the bevel angle.    Irwin Marples guide to hold a chisel or plane iron....
Winkgrin 
[attachment=22405]
Narex 6mm Mortise chisel.   Angle was set at 25 degrees.   Honed to 2500 grit, then stropped.   Actually sharpened 3 chisels last night...
[attachment=22406]
As the ends were getting worn, and rounded...   Now have a single bevel...

Honing guide does have a bit too much blue paint....intend to strip as much as I can, later....grip seems fine, right now.

(12-22-2019, 09:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm...well, here is what I have been using...
Rolleyes 

Old MK1 plate to set the bevel angle.    Irwin Marples guide to hold a chisel or plane iron....
Winkgrin 

Narex 6mm Mortise chisel.   Angle was set at 25 degrees.   Honed to 2500 grit, then stropped.   Actually sharpened 3 chisels last night...

As the ends were getting worn, and rounded...   Now have a single bevel...

Honing guide does have a bit too much blue paint....intend to strip as much as I can, later....grip seems fine, right now.

That guide looks like an eclipse clone (with paint added) 
Smile