Woodnet Forums
One plank project? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: One plank project? (/showthread.php?tid=7352297)

Pages: 1 2

One plank project? - bandit571 - 01-11-2020

In theory, yes.    Have a stack of 4/4 x 6" x 54" Ash planks...
Cool  
[attachment=22860]
Pick one plank, because it was free of warp, free of knots, free of live edges....and as straight as I could find...helped that the grain wasn't too "plain", either..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=22861]
Project?   Well Simon's hero, Paul Sellers, is doing a build-along video...an "Organizer".   So, signed up, and downloaded the plans ( all free, I like that part
Winkgrin )

Moose and Squirrel had to fight their way through my printer, past Boris and Natasha...to deliver 4 pages...
Rolleyes
[attachment=22862]
A "Front View"...
[attachment=22863]
A view of one of the ends...
[attachment=22864]
Drawer details ( Paul does drawers a bit different than me
Rolleyes )and....
[attachment=22865]
The ever important Cutting List.  
Cool 

So, I guess I had better start making sawdust?
Confused
Stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: One plank project? - hbmcc - 01-11-2020

Are you sure this will be only one 54" plank? I think the last one started with "scraps" that grew. 

Just keeping everyone honest.... 
Cool

RE: One plank project? - MarkSingleton - 01-11-2020

Another Bandit build along!!  Cool!

Cool

RE: One plank project? - bandit571 - 01-14-2020

Lets see...plank was hauled to the shop...
Rolleyes
[attachment=22933]
Had to clear the deck for action, was a bit too full..
Rolleyes
[attachment=22934]
Even had to put some things away
Winkgrin  to get a bit more elbow room..
[attachment=22935]
Plans laid out...Disston D-8, 11ppi for the crosscuts ( tried the Atkins 65...like the D-8 better) laid out the first cut..
Cool
[attachment=22937]
And got busy with the Cardio Workout...
[attachment=22939]
Was hoping to get enough leftover, for both the base and the lid....usual luck..
No
[attachment=22940]
Was enough for either, but, not both...so, this is either the lid, or the base of the box...
Confused  
[attachment=22941]
I need to joint both edges, and will be just wide enough...however...plan says this needs to be 11/16" thick...
[attachment=22942]
caliper says I am at 0.998" thick.....might have to plane this a bit? 
Cardio over, for now....need to rip the other boards for width...
[attachment=22943]
These will be the front, the back, with the shorter one being cut into the 2 ends...I jointed one edge, then set the rip fence on the tablesaw to a tad wider than needed...then, reset to a hair wider than finished width....except for the piece going out front.   When placed together after they have been sawn into 2 halves, they still have to match the width of the back and ends pieces....more fence adjustments..
[attachment=22944]
Ok, problem here?   These pieces need to be 1/2" thick....not 0.998"....so, next episode, I take care of that...

Stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: One plank project? - bandit571 - 01-14-2020

To get from 0.998" down to about 0.500", I need to resaw a bit off.   Plan was to rip the worst face off, leaving the better one intact, to be smooth planed...reset the tablesaw and the fence...blade as high as it will reach ( lowered it for the 2 narrower ones) and set 9/16" away from the fence...
[attachment=22945]
height of cut barely reached to the mid point...on the wider two boards...
No 
[attachment=22946]
Which left a ridge down the middle to plane away...
Cool
[attachment=22947]
But, blank is at 0.520" thickness.   I did save the thinner "cut-offs" for other things...but,
Rolleyes
[attachment=22948]
All 4 pieces are ready for the #3 smooth plane.  Box needs a wood floor, between the drawer and the storage compartment above it....found a bit of Poplar
Rolleyes 
[attachment=22949]
That might be the right size....may use some of the other cut-offs...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=22950]
For drawer parts?  May have spent a little over an hour in the shop, today....may try again after Supper?
Confused
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin

RE: One plank project? - bandit571 - 01-17-2020

Ok, will try to get this caught up..
Cool 

Used a Millers Falls V-Line smoother ( #4 size) to smooth things out..
[attachment=23019]
Couple needed jointed, to match up with the rest..
[attachment=23020]
Squared things up, cut one board down to make the two 5" long ends.   Found a couple thinner sticks...
Cool 
[attachment=23021]
To make drawer sides and a back with.  let these sit a while....
Rolleyes 

Ok, next shop session.   Cleaned the top of the bench off...and dug out the dovetail tools..
Winkgrin
[attachment=23022]
Layout toys, and such.....backsaw was put to work, though..
[attachment=23023]
Not a big fan of "tails first", but the plan and video call for it....Mr. Witherby stopped by...
Winkgrin
[attachment=23024]
To help out on the tails....
[attachment=23025]
But, I got better as the day wore on
Rolleyes 
[attachment=23026]
Until..trying to do the second end piece....had a split fly apart...had to go back and re-do the end from scratch...finally..
[attachment=23027]
Able to do a dry fit (no glue, yet) clamped up to keep things together...
[attachment=23028]
The "good" end.    This mess took about 2 of the 3 hours of shop time, yesterday....be back later, to tell about the rest
Uhoh

Stay tuned
Winkgrin

Ok..remember this plank?
Confused 
[attachment=23029]
A little rough around the edges...and too thick...
No
[attachment=23030]
0.998" is a long way from 11/16".   Ends needed squared up and to length of 12-3/4".   Edges needed buzzed to 5-3/4" for a width....AND parallel...Then set up the tablesaw to 7/8" between the blade and the fence.   Problem being, even with the blade raise all the way up, it still won't reach the middle of the board...
No 

Ran all 4 edges through.   Resaw at the bandsaw to remove the waste....had a 1" wide strip down the middle...
Angry  That will need planed down.   Set the board under the dry fit, to check how it will look..
Uhoh  
[attachment=23031]
Clean it up, smooth the underside....might just do..
Rolleyes 

Task today, after a late Lunch?
[attachment=23032]
The upper half of this box needs a floor, to keep things from falling into the drawer.   I need to plough a groove to house the floor, then cut the floor to fit, and then, maybe, do a glue up....we'll see....

May even start on the drawer?
Confused
Rolleyes
Uhoh 
[attachment=23033]
May need an entire day in the shop for that...but, after a 3 hour stint in the shop, it was time to hang things up..
[attachment=23034]
Stay tuned.... the cussing has begun
Cool

First a rebate, to house the storage compartment's floor..
Cool
[attachment=23060]
Needed this, to lay out the other grooves, for this plywood panel to sit in...
[attachment=23061]
Meant I needed to move a fence a bit...
[attachment=23062]
Then had to move it again, because I went up, instead of down,,,,
Angry Got all the grooves done...dry fit?
Confused   
[attachment=23063]
This is the underside of the "floor", topside?  
Cool
[attachment=23064]
Ok, glue and clamp time next..
[attachment=23065]
And, check for square...
Cool
[attachment=23066]
Set this aside...had to plane the base flat...
[attachment=23067]
Had to resaw it, to correct a spot..then a plane to level the playing field..
Winkgrin
[attachment=23068]
Until it looked presentable...
Rolleyes
[attachment=23069]
I also had Laundry Detail to do....sweep the shop floor after making a big mess of shavings...and even planed the back and side parts for the drawer...then hung the apron up...and closed up for the day..
Cool .

Stay tuned...the cussing has begun...
Rolleyes

RE: One plank project? - bandit571 - 01-20-2020

Ok...box came out of the clamps...did a bit of clean up  
[attachment=23217]
Plane and the sanders..trying NOT to split out a tail, or two...
[attachment=23218]
Well, I at least tried....now, about that botom panel, I call a Base...needed round overs...Sellers used a plane..
[attachment=23219]
And a sand paper smoothing...I guess I can too...end grain first..
[attachment=23220]
Then the long grain edges...Sanded all down...( helps if I mark a center line first. )   Sellers marked where the box will sit, centered on the base, marked a line to follow, and avoid when doing the round -overs....Then..he simply glued the base to the box...
[attachment=23221]
Just going by his plan.   Up front, where the drawer goes...I had a bit of splay going on....needed to pull things back into line..
[attachment=23222]
We have ways....

This morning...clamps came off.   Last night, had the 7 planks left planed down to about 3/4", or so....will go through the stack...looking for the best grain for the lid.

Once That is cut to size....I need to plane a rebate around the underside.  Set for the hinges to be used.   Then the round-over around the edges of the lid...

need to size the drawer front, and the sides and back of the drawer....Sellers used "slips", I'll use a groove....stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: One plank project? - bandit571 - 01-21-2020

Well, out of the 3 candidates, #2 won out...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=23254]
So, hauled it to the shop, Charlie Horse cramps and all...I picked the best behaved section, and marked out for the lid.   Idea being to be a bit oversized, to allow for any trimming for square.....needed 5-1/2" width..board was 6-1/4" wide..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=23255]
Figured the Disston D-8 was enough for the job....26" length, 11 ppi....even the operator was cutting straight....problem?    Like a tree, board was tapered a bit along it's length...trick was to get rid of the taper.   12" Stanley #20 square, mark 2 lines..
Cool
[attachment=23256]
Side with the least to plane away, was jointed straight, then that edge went against the tablesaw's fence,  where I discovered the blade had a 3 degree tilt.  Fix that, then planed off the saw marks.   Box came out of the clamps..
Uhoh  with issues...
Angry 
[attachment=23257]
Which I will try to do later, today.   Back to the lid....Sellers used a rebate around the underside of the lid, more to clear the barrels of the hinges...might as well do it all the way around...plus a round over...to match the base...( cheated on the round over a bit, roughed out with the router bit, final shape with the #3 plane)
[attachment=23258]
Sellers and I used the same plane to mill the rebates, except..the spur was used on mine.
[attachment=23259]
Small hinges, maybe too small?
Confused 
[attachment=23260]
Will have to see what else I have in the hardware spares box....sit the lid on the box, for now..have a drawer to cobble up..
Rolleyes

[attachment=23261].

Winkgrin Parts are sitting, waiting to get sized.
hardest part was getting things to slide in and out easily..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=23262]
Back had to wait a while.  It was cut to size after the grooves for the bottom were milled, then was fitted to the sides in dados...test drive?
[attachment=23266]
Mainly to see if the drawer would slide in...before I did any glue up....that will be the next episode..

Stay tuned...