Woodnet Forums
Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? (/showthread.php?tid=7352506)

Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? - MauleSkinner - 01-22-2020

Re-reading “Wooden Planes and How to Make Them” by Perch & Lee, i again noticed the bow saw in the photo of tools on page 10.. Having made a few of the traditional style bow saws recently, I thought this would be a fun one to make and use. Does anybody have any knowlege of dimensions on this saw, and or whether it’s got any historical background vs just a one-off that one of the authors made?

I’ve been trying to find a photo or drawing on the internet that I can link, but no luck so far.

Thanks!

David

RE: Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? - Admiral - 01-22-2020

Can't help you, but I would suggest that you make it a size that would accept available blades that can be resharpened.  Highland sells 'em here:  https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bow-saw-frame-saws-blades.aspx  and they appear to be 700mm, about 28" for the larger size, 12" for the smaller one.  TFWW also sells blades.

RE: Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? - MauleSkinner - 01-22-2020

That’s what I was thinking as well. I think the 400mm size would be perfect for this saw, but as you noticed, those are not resharpenable blades.

I bought the ECE 700mm bow saw years ago with additional blades (the saws I made recently were to fit those blades), and at one time cut one down to make a stair saw...I still have the remaining portion of that blade that I can cut/drill to use, and so I’ll probably make it to match the 400mm size that Highland sells in case I ever want the Japanese style teeth.

RE: Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? - MauleSkinner - 01-23-2020

Well, I did a little rough estimation and made a prototype in pine...handles very nicely! I think I’m going to make a couple.
Smile

RE: Bow saw in Perch & Lee Handplane book? - hbmcc - 01-23-2020

Cool! Neat design.