Woodnet Forums
Cedar planking problem - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cedar planking problem (/showthread.php?tid=7352789)

Cedar planking problem - Ingjr - 02-06-2020

Bought some of those ready to install cedar closet liners from HD about a year ago.  Went out to use them today and noticed a white chalky substance on some areas of some of the boards.  I assume it is mold.  What would be the best way to get rid of it?  It looks like it's just on the outside of the board as you can wipe it off with your finger.  Something I can wipe on to do the job or should it all be sanded.  Big job either way as I have 11 boxes at 15Sq.ft. per box.  Thanks for your help.

RE: Cedar planking problem - Admiral - 02-06-2020

Perhaps some sap/oils coming to the surface? I'd wipe it down with MS and see what happens.

RE: Cedar planking problem - Stwood_ - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 01:35 PM)Admiral Wrote: Perhaps some sap/oils coming to the surface?  I'd wipe it down with MS and see what happens.

Yes, I's say it's a dab of cedar sap. Light sanding after install

RE: Cedar planking problem - MichaelMouse - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 10:03 AM)Ingjr Wrote: Bought some of those ready to install cedar closet liners from HD about a year ago.  Went out to use them today and noticed a white chalky substance on some areas of some of the boards.  I assume it is mold.  What would be the best way to get rid of it?  It looks like it's just on the outside of the board as you can wipe it off with your finger.  Something I can wipe on to do the job or should it all be sanded.  Big job either way as I have 11 boxes at 15Sq.ft. per box.  Thanks for your help.
Yup. Resin (rosin) bleeding.  That's one reason why we shellac seal conifers if we want them to hold an oil finish rather than blister it out.

Scrape or wipe with MS.

RE: Cedar planking problem - Ingjr - 02-07-2020

(02-06-2020, 03:03 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Yup. Resin (rosin) bleeding.  That's one reason why we shellac seal conifers if we want them to hold an oil finish rather than blister it out.

Scrape or wipe with MS.

Thanks to everyone.  That's exactly what it was, sap.  Much better than mold I must say.  Thanks again.