Woodnet Forums
MM16 starter switch question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: MM16 starter switch question (/showthread.php?tid=7352927)

MM16 starter switch question - Aram - 02-14-2020

Follow up from my other thread. My Minimax MM16 starter switch has a component wired into it. I forgot to take a photo. Little black insert that fits perfectly inside the switch cover, has print on it says something about low voltage thresholds (something like that), has two wires that thread out through the cover and go switch terminals. My new switch did not come with this... thing, so I had to transplant it.

What is it?

Thanks.

RE: MM16 starter switch question - Stwood_ - 02-14-2020

No idea. Never had the cover off of mine.

RE: MM16 starter switch question - jteneyck - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 12:18 AM)Aram Wrote: Follow up from my other thread. My Minimax MM16 starter switch has a component wired into it. I forgot to take a photo. Little black insert that fits perfectly inside the switch cover, has print on it says something about low voltage thresholds (something like that), has two wires that thread out through the cover and go switch terminals. My new switch did not come with this... thing, so I had to transplant it.

What is it?

Thanks.

Could be a low voltage detector, for lack of the correct term.  If the voltage drops too low it trips so your motor doesn't get damaged.  

John

RE: MM16 starter switch question - Aram - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 12:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Could be a low voltage detector, for lack of the correct term.  If the voltage drops too low it trips so your motor doesn't get damaged.  

John

Thanks. That seems to line up with what I remember the label saying.

RE: MM16 starter switch question - TDKPE - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 12:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Could be a low voltage detector, for lack of the correct term.  If the voltage drops too low it trips so your motor doesn't get damaged.  

John

What he wrote sounds most logical.  Some controls also have overvoltage protection, as well as loss of phase (three-phase), but that's stuff that has to be specified when ordering a motor control.

RE: MM16 starter switch question - The Tinman - 02-16-2020

Does your machine have micro switches on a lid, a door etc that when opened it will shut the machine down? Those switches will be low voltage and a link to the contactor on the starter.

RE: MM16 starter switch question - Aram - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 01:44 PM)The Tinman Wrote: Does your machine have micro switches on a lid, a door etc that when opened it will shut the machine down? Those switches will be low voltage and a link to the contactor on the starter.

It does. I'm not sure I follow this. The interlocks (2 doors, 1 brake) provide a 0 ohm short to enable the motor to run. Can you elaborate about the low voltage?

Thanks.

RE: MM16 starter switch question - The Tinman - 02-16-2020

Without seeing your machine and it's starter I can't say for sure, but the 2 wires are a low volt circuit that completes the power to the contactor solenoid. @12 volts will go out to the switches wired in series on one of the wires and then back to the starter. If all the switches are in a closed position it will allow the contactor to energize.