Woodnet Forums
Pegboard Hook Locks - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pegboard Hook Locks (/showthread.php?tid=7353020)

Pages: 1 2

Pegboard Hook Locks - wjt - 02-19-2020

At one time these little spring loaded locks came with pegboard hooks. Does anyone know if they are still available ?

Thanks, Bill

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - Cooler - 02-19-2020

The plastic ones work well.  I get these at Lowes.

[Image: 51hBoESTU6L._AC_.jpg]

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - shoottmx - 02-19-2020

(02-19-2020, 02:56 PM)Cooler Wrote: The plastic ones work well.  I get these at Lowes.

Dayumn!! I have looked all over creation for those things--I was searching with the wrong name. Just ordered 50 from Amazoo for $9 delivered.

Many thanks!!

g

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - KLaz - 02-19-2020

These are my go to peg board hooks now......

[attachment=24197]

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - oldmanktm - 02-19-2020

just lift hook and put a dab of silicon caulking behind hook and set hook back down let dry . holds great

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - wjt - 02-20-2020

(02-19-2020, 12:03 PM)wjt Wrote: At one time these little spring loaded locks came with pegboard hooks. Does anyone know if they are still available ?

Thanks, Bill

From the responses I got it seems these little spring loaded retainers are no longer available.

Bill

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - Cooler - 02-20-2020

(02-20-2020, 09:42 AM)wjt Wrote: From the responses I got it seems these little spring loaded retainers are no longer available.

Bill

I suspect that the plastic ones are cheaper and work as well and drove them out of business.

You can re-use these a few times, but the barbs will get damaged over time.  Cheap enough so that I just toss them.

I have a rolling cart with peg board sides that I can access from both sides of the board.  I use zip ties for that application as I can get around to the back.  Always use the black ones.  They are UV resistant and will be less likely to crack with age.

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - wjt - 02-20-2020

(02-20-2020, 09:53 AM)Cooler Wrote: I suspect that the plastic ones are cheaper and work as well and drove them out of business.

You can re-use these a few times, but the barbs will get damaged over time.  Cheap enough so that I just toss them.

I have a rolling cart with peg board sides that I can access from both sides of the board.  I use zip ties for that application as I can get around to the back.  Always use the black ones.  They are UV resistant and will be less likely to crack with age.

Cooler:

I have used the black ones for several years and find them a little undersized for the 1/4" hooks (even though the box says they fit). For 1/8" hooks they fit nicely. I have used zip ties but a bit tricky as I do not have access to the backside of the pegboard.

I seen this video on bending the barbed tips of the black hook locks to a more acute angle and it works. I used a low setting on a heat gun for 10 seconds instead of the open flame and got the same results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTjt95Zx-o

Bill

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - GeeDub - 02-20-2020

Lots of better solutions to the pegboard problems that led many folks to hate them. I use the Talon pegs where I have 1/4" board and good quality metal ones on the 1/8" board. I find it very useful to be able to re-arrange as new tools arrive or favorites change places with the one in less handy locations. I too use ty-wraps and have become embarrassingly skilled at bending a U shape in them to thread them through pegboard that I can't reach from the rear.

RE: Pegboard Hook Locks - Willyou - 02-20-2020

I've done this for years and have a technique that only takes a short time to do. It's not great if you move the hooks a lot. But, if you keep them in place, the method is very secure. If anyone is interested, I can show the steps.
[attachment=24212]