Woodnet Forums
"He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say (/showthread.php?tid=7353126)

Pages: 1 2

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - bandit571 - 03-03-2020

Hidden in a stack of flooring cut-offs....it did look like wood.....turned out to be a molded PLASTIC  that used two colours of plastic resin to extrude the board....

Beware of Flooring, they're are not always what they seem..
[attachment=24537]
Face grain..
Confused 
[attachment=24538]
Edge grain...and..
[attachment=24539]
the end grain...

When you hear a SCREEEECH instead of the usual swoosh.....STOP.  

It is that straight piece, between the arch and the insert..
[attachment=24540]
And, NO, it did not stain...at all..

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-05-2020

I went a bit further in electrical cuts, and from here forward I'm looking forward to getting time to fit things together with more of a hand tool focus.   Nice knurled nuts are supposed to arrive soon, too
Smile

[attachment=24598]

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-07-2020

Some Saturday morning progress:

The Tuesday "blue-tape sawn" walnut pieces will be yielding straps, roughly chipped out as shown here:

[attachment=24630]

The knurled nuts arrived!  Now a test-fitting of the two primary shelves, with their small tongues and their grooves for threaded rods.   The Pre-Rise of Gusdorf Stickley!

[attachment=24631]

Have a great weekend,
Chris

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-08-2020

I told my brother back home about the Gusdorf inspiration.   He still runs the shop there, and he texted me a picture of leftover US Patented assembly wrenches from those days:

[attachment=24674]

With 2 walnut planks cut to fit, I started working on the oak planking, which is a bit more tedious.  Once one of these was in place, the whole think starting pulling 'square' a lot more readily.

[attachment=24673]

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-14-2020

A bit more work along the way.   Also, as long as black threaded fasteners are used, black wrought nails might as well join the club:

[attachment=24884]

Chris

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-16-2020

Just an aside here,

It is almost the NEW YEAR in some cultures (Thursday night March 19 around 11pm in my time zone).
Some such folks I know received this from me as a culturally appropriate gift back in 2007.   I realize now I didn't even have a decent hand-plane at that time.  And the 'inlaid' carving was with Exacto Knife, Dremel tool, and wood putty.    Where there's a will, there's a way!

[attachment=24911]

My recent shelves project, I'll get back to after a few more days.

Chris

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-18-2020

Interesting times...

St. Patrick's Day had me wearing green, working from Home for the first of many days coming up, and enjoying a moment of lunchtime sun, 'swabbing the decks' on the shelves:

[attachment=25000]

The previously-kerfed strap boards, I first chopped out a bit with a chisel, and then used my super LN140 skew block plane.  It's my only L-N tool, and it's a rock.  I don't know if the original Stanley 140 was any good, but this thing is a joy:

[attachment=25001]

Of course there's a lot still to do, but the general design is starting to firm up:

[attachment=25002]

Stay healthy!

Chris

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 03-20-2020

I'm calling 'er done!

Shortly after oiling the walnut pieces and spreading out the combustible walnut-oil-soaked paper towel in my office, I loaded it up with so many papers I can hardly see it any more!

[attachment=25034]

Thanks for watching,
Chris

RE: "He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say - C. in Indy - 07-27-2020

There was some leftover wood, and I needed a small gift box.

Instead of thru-dovetails, I did a thru-drawer... a little like a Follansbee valet.   Very small!

[attachment=28618]