Woodnet Forums
Small cabinet build-along - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small cabinet build-along (/showthread.php?tid=7353183)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Arlin Eastman - 06-02-2020

(06-01-2020, 01:08 PM)Aram Wrote: Yoooouuu'lll seee....

Big Grin

Big Stinker. 
Laugh

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Arlin Eastman - 06-02-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:32 PM)Aram Wrote: Another step in the oddest glue-up ever. 

[Image: i-d5gZhxB-M.jpg]

The assembled parts are all glued. The separate parts, obviously, are not.

[Image: i-Lvp7rHW-M.jpg]

Originally, I planned to have 5 drawers in the left section, 5 in the middle, and a door on the right. My current thinking is to keep the middle drawers, but have a 5-shelf pullout unit on the left. Built like a drawer on its side, with dividers as shelves. Designing this thing on the fly, for better or worse.

So trying to understand here.

You are installing 5 micro drawers with a door that hides them??  That sounds really neat.  Then two other doors?

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Aram - 06-02-2020

(06-02-2020, 10:37 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: So trying to understand here.

You are installing 5 micro drawers with a door that hides them??  That sounds really neat.  Then two other doors?

No door. Just a pull-out unit with 5 shelves.

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Aram - 06-07-2020

A little more progress. Marvin Gaye, a lot of Nick Lowe, some mainstream rock, a band called Spoon (Gimme Fiction, very good record).

As I showed before, the cabinet will be divided into 3 sections. To locate the dividers square and where I want them, I routed shallow grooves on the frame. On the bottom:

[Image: i-VnXv2Xg-M.jpg]

And using the same router spacers, on the top. Had to flip the cabinet with all the clamps on it, which was mildly nerve wracking.

[Image: i-8G4j7sj-M.jpg]

The bottom grooves run the full length of the stretchers. The top frame has no such cross pieces, so there is just a short section of groove on the front and rear frames. That's fine, all it needs to do is locate the divider. Note that these grooves are stopped. I don't want them visible on the front. They go clear through on the rear, so I can slide the frames in.

[Image: i-zH5drZD-M.jpg]

I fitted the dividers with splines to match the grooves. Obviously, I have also fitted the right frame with a panel. This will be visible in the door compartment. The left frame will not be seen, so I didn't see any point in bothering with a panel there. It will be plenty strong and useful.

[Image: i-qGq3jBd-M.jpg]

Dry fit, looks fine. The fronts of the dividers are a little proud. This is intentional, so I can plane them flush after glue-up.

[Image: i-vcD53Vh-M.jpg]

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Aram - 06-08-2020

Short session, with a little more Nick Lowe and a palm router.

I routed dadoes into the divider frames, with a 1/8" bit. They will hold shelves for drawers to slide on in the middle compartment.

[Image: i-STPB8Xx-M.jpg]

They are stopped, for two reasons. One, the drawer fronts will each have a small overhang. The shelves will act as stops. Two, I may be an amateur, but I have some standards. Through dadoes would look awful.

[Image: i-JsXGSC8-M.jpg]

I just hope they line up will enough that the drawers won't rock.

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Arlin Eastman - 06-09-2020

Looking forward to seeing how it all works together.
Yes

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Aram - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 01:47 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Looking forward to seeing how it all works together.
Yes

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing if if all works together.

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Arlin Eastman - 06-10-2020

(06-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Aram Wrote: Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing if if all works together.

You must not be sure with the double IF. 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Arlin Eastman - 06-11-2020

Aram

Is it like 3 drawers that are pulled out and each one has 5 drawers??

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Aram - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 07:07 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Aram

Is it like 3 drawers that are pulled out and each one has 5 drawers??

No, not that complicated. Right will be a cabinet space with a door in front. Center is 5 drawers. Left is a... like, vertical drawer with shelves in it.