Woodnet Forums
Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . (/showthread.php?tid=7353876)

Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Wild Turkey - 03-24-2020

and rabbeted the hinges on the wrong edge of the door
Rolleyes

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Bill Holt - 03-24-2020

Been there, done that.  Bummer!!!!

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Stwood_ - 03-24-2020

Mmmm. Should have stopped at 4?

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Arlin Eastman - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 04:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: and rabbeted the hinges on the wrong edge of the door
Rolleyes

Can you trim off the top and glue a piece in??

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - wood-chips - 03-24-2020

Been there and done that myself. I made stiles for two doors and proceeded to drill cup holes in all of them 
Mad

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - mike4244 - 03-25-2020

(03-24-2020, 04:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: and rabbeted the hinges on the wrong edge of the door
Rolleyes

I was doing millwork and hanging doors on a commercial job. Doors were 3-0 x 7-0 x 2-1/4" thick cherry. I had a pair of doors that had flush bolts in the inactive door. After routing out the door for flush bolts and installing them .I hung the doors. I got sick realizing I had the flush bolts installed a--backwards. The bottom bolt was 12" off the floor and should have been 18" to the center. Top bolt was 18" to the center and should have been 12". I took off my overalls, packed up my tool box and told my boss I quit. He wanted to know why and I showed him the mistake. He laughed, then told me to get back to work because him and I were the only ones that knew. 
He said if I did not point out the mistake he wouldn't know either. 
mike

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - fredhargis - 03-25-2020

What have you decided as a solution? (17)

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Cooler - 03-25-2020

To the greatest extent possible I transfer dimensions directly to the mating pieces.  Or I use a story stick. 

For a door I would put it in place and then make a mark where the hinges would go. 

Rulers don't think.  Thinking has to be done before the ruler comes out.

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Handplanesandmore - 03-25-2020

The mistake was made because you broke the cardinal rule of....... measuring twice only!

Simon

RE: Carefully measured FIVE times . . . - Wild Turkey - 03-25-2020

Routed edge smooth, cut other side correctly now will make spacer strip behind hinges

And keep my mouth shut!!!!
Wink