Woodnet Forums
What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? (/showthread.php?tid=7354458)

Pages: 1 2

What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - CCinPA - 04-11-2020

What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board?

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - Robin Dobbie - 04-11-2020

A brand new brad point bit.

The support above and below are probably more important than the bit itself. High speed, slow entry. Maybe, if you're able, set the bit depth stop so that the brad point just pokes through, then stops. Flip the piece over and line up the bit with the tiny hole.

Maybe cover the holes(above and below) with tape, that way when you remove the tape and chips come off anyway, you can glue the those chips back in.

Maybe don't use particle board. Sorry, had to.

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - CCinPA - 04-11-2020

If I could... I would choose the material not to be "strand-board"... Just learned the correct name.  I'm attempting to drill a large hole to feed wires from basement up-thru the strand-board.  

Suggestions?

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - Stwood_ - 04-11-2020

Holesaw. Nice and sharp. Stop before it goes through, then drill on the other side.

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - Robin Dobbie - 04-11-2020

Depending on the depth of the hole, you may end up having to start with a small drill bit(the diameter of the pilot bit in your hole saw), go a little ways from both sides with the hole saw to get clean entries, then get the middle with a spade bit.

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - museumguy - 04-11-2020

What size hole? Depending on the size, there may be other options besides a holesaw.

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - photobug - 04-11-2020

(04-11-2020, 01:42 PM)CCinPA Wrote: If I could... I would choose the material not to be "strand-board"... 
[quote pid='7846782' dateline='1586630533']
Carpenters call it OSB for oriented strand board.  If you are worried about it start with a small drill bit 3/16 maybe then follow with a hole saw or spade bit then go the the other side and finish the hole.  Or you can do like every carpenter electrician and plummer and just drill baby drill.  No one cares what the back side of OSB looks like.
[/quote]

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - Turner52 - 04-11-2020

Particle board and OSB are two totally different products. Particle boaed is mostly saw dust and glue while OSB is thin chips and glue. Osb is usually structural. Particle board is not, but is very hard. used to be used a lot for underlayment.

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - Tapper - 04-11-2020

How thick is the material you are attempting to drill through? What diameter hole?

Doug

RE: What is the best bit(?) to drill thru particle-board? - CCinPA - 04-12-2020

(04-11-2020, 10:04 PM)Tapper Wrote: How thick is the material you are attempting to drill through? What diameter hole?

Doug

Yep.. The partial-board(strand-board) is a 1" underlayment.  Then, 2" pine stud.