Woodnet Forums
Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? (/showthread.php?tid=7354510)

Pages: 1 2

Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - Scott W - 04-13-2020

Any suggestions on a decent set for woodworking? I know some use them for metal work but that's not my direction right now.

Thanks.

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - sweensdv2 - 04-13-2020

The set from Snappy is priced right and works very well.

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - gov.cheese - 04-13-2020

I guess it depends on what you mean by countersink, but if you're just looking for just a countersink without the bit:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/drill-bits/32308-hcs-82-single-flute-countersinks

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - Bill Holt - 04-13-2020

(04-13-2020, 10:24 AM)Scott W Wrote: Any suggestions on a decent set for woodworking? I know some use them for metal work but that's not my direction right now.

Thanks.

Many years ago I bought one of the Insty-Drive sets with 5 countersinks from Rockler.  Their countersinks have some real advantages; each size has three parts: shaft, bit, and countersink collar.  When you break a bit it is easily replaced. The bit travels all the way trough the shaft so you can shorten the depth two ways which lessens the risk of breaking the smaller size.  The countersink collar is adjusted with two set screws and has four flutes so I think is cuts quicker.  The bits are tapered, which most around here are not fans, but I am.

I seldom install a screw without countersinking so mine are very well used.  The bits have all been replaced a few times and I have been able to dress the flutes on the countersink collar with a diamond card.

The Insty-Drive set is about $90 now and in my opinion is not worth it, but I think the countersinks are the best that I have found.

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - fredhargis - 04-13-2020

I use several of the ones as linked above from Lee Valley.

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - joe1086 - 04-13-2020

Yep, countersinks (without the drill bit) from LV or Weldon work great. Not sure about the LV's but the Weldons are also good on metal. Avoid the fluted ones.

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - KLaz - 04-13-2020

Since the title says countersink drill bit, I'll put my .02 in....

These are my go to countersink/drill bit set up.  Amana No-Mar from Tools Today

Amana No-Mar

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - Philip1231 - 04-13-2020

Hard to beat Fuller products: I highly recommend them

W.L Fuller

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - mike4244 - 04-13-2020

(04-13-2020, 10:24 AM)Scott W Wrote: Any suggestions on a decent set for woodworking? I know some use them for metal work but that's not my direction right now.

Thanks.

I bought a set of Fuller spiral tapered countersink bits years ago. I used them often as I was a carpenter and cabinet maker.
They are very good quality, a bit pricey compared to others that have straight bits, not tapered spiral bits like Fuller. I still use them but only once in awhile since I retired. I recommend them , have not used the others mentioned except for Snappy. My employer bought Snappy because they were inexpensive, he went back to Fuller about a year later. I do not think Snappy offers taper bits, that is what we needed generally.
mike

RE: Recommendations on countersink drill bit set? - Wild Turkey - 04-13-2020

I like these and got a discount throught woodnet.  I love the way they drill and CS.

https://www.holbren.com/carbide-tip-countersinks-with-drill-bit/

One comment:  The drill bits included are for the thread clearance, not body clearance.  I was working with some oak and twisted off a couple of screws before I got the sizes straight.