Woodnet Forums
Sitting Bench from old wood - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sitting Bench from old wood (/showthread.php?tid=7354578)

Sitting Bench from old wood - dejongs - 04-15-2020

Being on work from home/stay at home had some time for some wife hinted projects.
4 feet long 18" deep, 18" high
Majority of the wood is recycled from baseboard trim, windows trim salvaged from houses built in the 20s, legs from barn wood.
Striping the paint from the side boards was a real pain(two boards glued together), I ended up only striping three boards not knowing initially what I was going to do with them.
Finished with Old Masters Provincial wiping stain, finished with oil based statin poly.
[attachment=26137]
[attachment=26138]
[attachment=26139]
[attachment=26140]
[attachment=26141]
[attachment=26142]
[attachment=26143]
[attachment=26144]
[attachment=26145]

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - Stwood_ - 04-15-2020

Looks nice. I had a ton of that same material and used it on lots of things. Made a lot of thinner trim,,,,etc.

We took it all out of the present house we are in. It was in 3 rooms. Walls and ceilings. 10 coats of paint....

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - MsNomer - 04-15-2020

Nice save!

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - fredhargis - 04-16-2020

I love it, well done!

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - R Clark - 04-16-2020

Love that finished color!

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - Dumb_Polack - 04-16-2020

Pocket screws......POCKET SCREWS!!!!!......POCKET SCREWS!!!!

Turn in your WW card at the next depot and you are hereby DISHONORABLY DISCHARGED!!!!!

DISMISSED!!!!

Why did you not use M&T joints?????

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - dejongs - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 09:34 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Pocket screws......POCKET SCREWS!!!!!......POCKET SCREWS!!!!

Turn in your WW card at the next depot and you are hereby DISHONORABLY DISCHARGED!!!!!

DISMISSED!!!!

Why did you not use M&T joints?????

I couldn't buy a mortiser (not a hand tool person) in time before everything was shut down(I very rarely by new). Saw two Powermatic PM701s on Facebook marketplace, people didn't respond.

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - Dennis Puskar - 04-16-2020

(04-15-2020, 07:24 PM)dejongs Wrote: Being on work from home/stay at home had some time for some wife hinted projects.
4 feet long 18" deep, 18" high
Majority of the wood is recycled from baseboard trim, windows trim salvaged from houses built in the 20s, legs from barn wood.
Striping the paint from the side boards was a real pain(two boards glued together), I ended up only striping three boards not knowing initially what I was going to do with them.
Finished with Old Masters Provincial wiping stain, finished with oil based statin poly.

Very nice work

RE: Sitting Bench from old wood - alanealane - 04-23-2020

Beautiful job! Hey when the little lady wants something done just get it done. M&T sometimes takes too long unless you have a domino machine or a mortising jig. Pocket screws just plain git r done!
Smile