Woodnet Forums
Doweling Jig - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Doweling Jig (/showthread.php?tid=7354670)

Pages: 1 2

Doweling Jig - lincmercguy - 04-18-2020

I used my Task self-centering doweling jig to make some internal divider frames for a dresser I'm working on. I used 3/8 dowels and intended the frames to keep all of it square. However it turns out these frames are not square. I think the doweling jig pivoted slightly when clamped to the ends of the side boards.

I think I'm ready for something a little better. I can't justify the cost of a Festool Domino and the Triton dowler gets bad reviews. I know there are some better doweling jigs out there but I don't think they're self centering. I would think the Beadlock would suffer from the same issue.

Thoughts on something that would work well for this? I might have to cut them up and redo them with pocket hole screws for now, but I'd like to have something better long term. I usually use mortise and tenon for joints like this on the main parts, but want something quicker for these kinds of items.

RE: Doweling Jig - Aram - 04-18-2020

(04-18-2020, 10:57 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: I used my Task self-centering doweling jig to make some internal divider frames for a dresser I'm working on. I used 3/8 dowels and intended the frames to keep all of it square. However it turns out these frames are not square. I think the doweling jig pivoted slightly when clamped to the ends of the side boards.

I think I'm ready for something a little better. I can't justify the cost of a Festool Domino and the Triton dowler gets bad reviews.  I know there are some better doweling jigs out there but I don't think they're self centering. I would think the Beadlock would suffer from the same issue.

Thoughts on something that would work well for this? I might have to cut them up and redo them with pocket hole screws for now, but I'd like to have something better long term. I usually use mortise and tenon for joints like this on the main parts, but want something quicker for these kinds of items.

Dowelmax is terrific. I don't use mine often, but for face frames and the like, it's a reliable, first rate tool.

RE: Doweling Jig - topapilot - 04-18-2020

Second the dowelmax.  It doesn't do much, but what it does, it does really, really well.  I've probably had mine a decade and a half, and I still think it's the best at what it does.

RE: Doweling Jig - lincmercguy - 04-19-2020

How does the dowelmax compare to the jessem dowel jig? I like the variable offset of the jessem.

RE: Doweling Jig - Bill Holt - 04-19-2020

I have the Jessem and have been very impressed.  The learning curve was pretty short for an old man.  The first project was just a few doors.  The second was for our son, 43 cabinet doors.  I wanted the Domino but too much $$$.

RE: Doweling Jig - Phil Thien - 04-19-2020

The Jessem is outstanding, prefer it over the Dowelmax. Also the Dowelmax is now made in China I believe and the Jessem in Canada. So there is that.

RE: Doweling Jig - lincmercguy - 04-19-2020

Phil, what makes it more preferable than the dowelmax for you?

RE: Doweling Jig - Phil Thien - 04-19-2020

(04-19-2020, 01:17 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Phil, what makes it more preferable than the dowelmax for you?

The ability to adjust it for various offsets w/o having to use spacers.

RE: Doweling Jig - GeeDub - 04-20-2020

Alas, the Mortise Pal is no longer made. It works so well for these things. I thought I saw a version 1 selling on one of the forums. You might look around. If you can find a version 2, all the better.

RE: Doweling Jig - JDuke - 04-20-2020

Dowelmax is definitely a great jig, very well made and definitely a precise tool.

Not as fast as domino, but I’ll keep mine to do doors and such