Woodnet Forums
PSA, LN chisels - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: PSA, LN chisels (/showthread.php?tid=7355834)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Admiral - 06-12-2020

That's a beauty.  I'm sure it was a garage sale bargain at $1.....  
Laugh

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Scoony - 06-12-2020

I have a 1 1/2" Ashley Iles Mk2 chisel, but the edge retention on it has been horrible. I have had to grind it back several times to get past edge crumbling. That size does come in handy once in a while.

RE: PSA, LN chisels - TomFromStLouis - 06-12-2020

I have a couple of wide (2”?) vintage chisels and I reach for them often enough. Tapping in a longer mark or chopping veneer come to mind.

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Nick Obermire - 06-13-2020

You guys are probably going to cringe, but whenever I need a wide chisel I just use an old banged up tapered plane iron.

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Philip1231 - 06-13-2020

Its been kicking around since at least the early 1960's: one of the tools that always seemed to good to use, so its been a shelf queen. Really nicely made chisel.

(06-12-2020, 01:46 PM)Admiral Wrote: That's a beauty.  I'm sure it was a garage sale bargain at $1.....  
Laugh

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Stwood_ - 06-13-2020

(06-12-2020, 08:22 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Tapping in a longer mark or chopping veneer come to mind.

+1. I think that's about all I've used my 2" for.

I have a full set of the black/yellow handled Stanleys I bought new, 20 or so years old. Same style as what I used in HS.

RE: PSA, LN chisels - tablesawtom - 06-14-2020

If Martin S is excited about ordering a 1 1/2 from LN and wants to let others know they will be available then I am happy for him. I am also happy for him  that he is able to purchase one and hopefully it helps him to complete his set of chisels.

The only chisel from LN that I own is a 1/2 inch fishtail chisel. It was actually given to me by someone here on the woodnet forum because of a comment I made. It wasn't a matter of spending the money for it at the time it was a matter of afford. 

Anyway I think it is a beautiful tool, to both look at and to use. It is a joy to work with and if nothing else using it affects my attitude toward the task and helps me to want to do a better job. Martin I hope that your new chisel, when you get it, effects you the same way. 

Anyway well done.

Tom

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Handplanesandmore - 06-14-2020

(06-13-2020, 02:35 PM)Nick Obermire Wrote: You guys are probably going to cringe, but whenever I need a wide chisel I just use an old banged up tapered plane iron.

Those who cringe could likely be the ignorant ones. Was it veneer master Gilbert or someone his experience who sometimes used a plane blade to trim pieces? A sharp knife or veneer saw is what one needs to trim... think about it....who has a 5" chisel for cutting wider veneer????
Rolleyes 

Simon

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Mike Brady - 06-24-2020

Sold out now.  Got one!  Great for tenon fitting.

RE: PSA, LN chisels - Martin S. - 06-26-2020

Well, at least someone wanted one besides me.

I got one, and I am happy.

If they would just make a 1.25, I could complete the set.