Woodnet Forums
Small Hand Tool Project - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small Hand Tool Project (/showthread.php?tid=7355930)

Small Hand Tool Project - Scoony - 06-13-2020

Started this several months ago, and just got around to finishing it. The finish on the walnut took some time as I filled the pores with varnish which took several coats with sanding in between, but the surface is nice and smooth. Not a great picture as the shop was a mess at the time.

[attachment=27633]

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - Aram - 06-13-2020

(06-13-2020, 05:15 PM)Scoony Wrote: Started this several months ago, and just got around to finishing it. The finish on the walnut took some time as I filled the pores with varnish which took several coats with sanding in between, but the surface is nice and smooth. Not a great picture as the shop was a mess at the time.

Very nice!

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - hbmcc - 06-13-2020

(06-13-2020, 05:15 PM)Scoony Wrote: The finish on the walnut took some time as I filled the pores with varnish which took several coats with sanding in between, but the surface is nice and smooth. 

I share your preference. I have always been ambivalent about how a finish should look on open pored woods. My first experience with Walnut was in Jr. High shop. I was dinged for sanding too much after attempting to remove gross looking grain filler and then smooth the surface by rubbing out. Finishing oak is always a trial in varnish and sanding; to the point that I'd rather work with anything else.

Your box has a gorgeous finish.

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - cputnam - 06-13-2020

Very Nice!
Cool
Cool

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - tablesawtom - 06-14-2020

It looks very nice and the workmanship sets it apart from just an ordinary box. I would like to know if the lid has a carved indentation in the top for the  thumb or if it is just grain and or camera angle and lighting/

Tom

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - MarkSingleton - 06-14-2020

Nice work!!

Cool

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - Arlin Eastman - 06-14-2020

That really did come out very nice and the wood to.

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - Stwood_ - 06-14-2020

Very nice. What tool will it be used to hold?
Big Grin

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - Gary G™ - 06-14-2020

She’s a beauty. .....

RE: Small Hand Tool Project - Scoony - 06-14-2020

(06-14-2020, 05:56 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: It looks very nice and the workmanship sets it apart from just an ordinary box. I would like to know if the lid has a carved indentation in the top for the  thumb or if it is just grain and or camera angle and lighting/

Tom

Tom, yes, there is a indentation carved out.