Woodnet Forums
Some good scraper tips - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Some good scraper tips (/showthread.php?tid=7356900)

Some good scraper tips - Timberwolf - 07-28-2020

from Stewmac......... but you can make your own.........
Winkgrin

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/scrapers/stewmac-ultimate-scraper.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CP%20%7C%20MF%20%7C%20BNG%20%7C%20SHOP%20%7C%20NBR%20%7C%20All%20Products&utm_term=4578572614422302&utm_content=All%20Products

RE: Some good scraper tips - AHill - 07-29-2020

I have that scraper and it's by far the best scraper I own. It holds an edge for a VERY LONG time, there's no need to flex it, and because it's thick, you don't get the heat. The curved parts are perfect for scraping carvings, carved bowls, and spoons as well. I think they are made out of D2 tool steel.

RE: Some good scraper tips - Aram - 07-29-2020

(07-28-2020, 05:24 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: from Stewmac......... but you can make your own.........
Winkgrin

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/scrapers/stewmac-ultimate-scraper.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CP%20%7C%20MF%20%7C%20BNG%20%7C%20SHOP%20%7C%20NBR%20%7C%20All%20Products&utm_term=4578572614422302&utm_content=All%20Products

Those do look interesting. I don't understand how you use them on a flat surface. I'm used to the thumb flex method, which gives a very mild curvature to a card scraper. The rounded ones Stewmac shows have heavy curves and appear to be intended for following hollows. Thoughts?

RE: Some good scraper tips - Timberwolf - 07-30-2020

(07-29-2020, 12:11 PM)Aram Wrote: Those do look interesting. I don't understand how you use them on a flat surface. I'm used to the thumb flex method, which gives a very mild curvature to a card scraper. The rounded ones Stewmac shows have heavy curves and appear to be intended for following hollows. Thoughts?

They offer several different configurations...one rectangular scarper with four straight edges...The brr is greated on your bench grinder........You can watch the video and see how aggressive you can make it..check it out on their website.....

[Image: stewmac-ultimate-scraper.jpg]where is my current location right now

RE: Some good scraper tips - Timberwolf - 07-30-2020

(07-29-2020, 12:11 PM)Aram Wrote: Those do look interesting. I don't understand how you use them on a flat surface. I'm used to the thumb flex method, which gives a very mild curvature to a card scraper. The rounded ones Stewmac shows have heavy curves and appear to be intended for following hollows. Thoughts?

They offer several different configurations...one rectangular scarper with four straight edges...The brr is greated on your bench grinder........You can watch the video and see how aggressive you can make it..check it out on their website.....

[Image: stewmac-ultimate-scraper.jpg]