Woodnet Forums
A couple shop improvements - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A couple shop improvements (/showthread.php?tid=7357458)

A couple shop improvements - bandit571 - 08-27-2020

So...a "cheap" $10 grinder was bought...then installed in the spot that USED to be where my OLD Craftsman 6" grinder sat for years....
Cool
[attachment=29241]
Also found an old nail, hiding under the plank shelf...
[attachment=29242]
yep, that will leave a mark...
I also moved an old vise out....it was sitting BEHIND the sanding center machine ( 6" disc, 4 x36" belt) and was a bit rough to actually use.   had some 3/4" pine plywood handy, and some 5/4 Ash scrap....drilled a few holes...3 for the bolts to hold the vise, three for screws to attach the cleat under the plywood base..
[attachment=29243]
Had to run the vise all the way out, to attach the rear bolt..
[attachment=29246]

Vise is a Monarch (Lion's Head) No. 215, 4" vise...dated to 10-45 ( Oct 1945)   Looks like the set up will work..
Confused
[attachment=29248]
As for the "old" Craftsman vise?  Same thing, just the cleat is 3/4" Pine...
[attachment=29249]
Trying out buffer wheels (Unicorn Sharpening)..
[attachment=29250]
Which ever cloth wheel doesn't work out, I'll replace it with a Fine Brass Wire Wheel.....

Theory being, IF I need the heavy metal working vise, I can move it over from a shelf, clamp it up in the bench's end vise.   Same with the "buffer".   Need to find a bit of shelf space to stash both on.  
New grinder?
[attachment=29251]
Should do the job...new wheels came with it, too...

RE: A couple shop improvements - farmerj111 - 08-27-2020

You've been busy, nice improvements.  I should be improving something instead of reading Woodnet. 
Laugh

RE: A couple shop improvements - bandit571 - 08-30-2020

Don't have any lumber in the shop, right now..
No

There IS a "project" of sorts....dual dog food bowl holders....maybe when I finally bring some lumber home with me?
Rolleyes

RE: A couple shop improvements - stav - 08-31-2020

(08-27-2020, 04:04 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: You've been busy, nice improvements.  I should be improving something instead of reading Woodnet. 
Laugh

Reading Woodnet is improving your mind.  At least that is how I want to see it.  
Big Grin

Nice upgrades Bandit.  How much does that bench vise weigh?

RE: A couple shop improvements - bandit571 - 08-31-2020

That vise needed two hands to lift it, even before the base was added....feels about the same as a 50 pound bag of dog food does....and, about as "easy" to carry...

I was expecting a bit more than that.  I have one similar that came out of an old Grummond plant. (My grandfather joked that they chucked one wheel in the vise and built the plane around it.)  I swear that vise weighs 75lbs or more.  It's not something I move around much.