Woodnet Forums
Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws (/showthread.php?tid=7358082)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - Tony Z - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 09:46 AM)Admiral Wrote: Oh, yeah, they changed the handle a bit and went to walnut, i think mine are more like ash; I got the saws on sale during a Hartville inventory clearance several years ago that they posted here, great deal as I recall.

Mine was bought from "The Best Things" - think Lee Richmond had a special run of the saws made with walnut. It was shaped a bit more than the standard run, but still very boxy. Finished the shaping with a "lamb's tongue" and slimming/shaping the rest of the wood.

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - Admiral - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 10:08 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I'll just stick with mine...
A Disston D-115 and a Disston D8 Thumbhole Rip....D-115 is 10 ppi, D8 is 5-1/2ppi, and 2" longer...
Winkgrin

Both are about 100 years old

No doubt.  But everyone can't always find vintage saws.

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - hbmcc - 10-06-2020

Going through some things I found a tag from Page, then the saw. He filed and tuned an Atkins 26" Rip I bought probably last fall for about a $100 to $110. I'm sure, now the shipping will cost more than the saw. Buying Amazon's cheap shipping rates through other companies pisses me off.

I could not use the Atkins due to my bad shoulder, but finding a rip in the wild around here is like picking up a 5 pound gold nugget in the street. I plan to be plastic and titanium in a week so may test drive the thing in 6 months.

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - bandit571 - 10-06-2020

Hmm..and I have too many saws...
[attachment=30079]
I keep tripping over the dang things around here..
[attachment=30080]
Even have a few still hanging from the ceiling joists...
[attachment=30081]
Or, hanging inside a tool box....

May have a few I could spare....

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - hbmcc - 10-06-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:41 PM)ChuckL2 Wrote: I can buy a 24" Lynx saw for about $90 and a 26" for about $100.  A $26" Pax costs about $115.  I could try to get something decent on ebay, then send it to someone to refurbish, but I suspect it will end up costing a lot more.  Is there someone selling ready to use vintage saws in this price range?  I hope this doesn't sound argumentative; it is not meant to be.

Yes, as was mentioned, and now that Enguneer has posted in the S&S you better hurry or his saws will be gone. There is nothing to fear from them. Just prior to getting the rip cut Atkins from him I returned a new Pax/Lynx to brand x because someone folded it while in transit. You can't control intentional abuse or theft, but Page sends his in sturdy packaging. https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7358135 

However, no one packages a saw as well as Timberwolf. He turns structural engineering into an art form.

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - iclark - 10-07-2020

(10-06-2020, 04:07 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Going through some things I found a tag from Page, then the saw. He filed and tuned an Atkins 26" Rip I bought probably last fall for about a $100 to $110. I'm sure, now the shipping will cost more than the saw. Buying Amazon's cheap shipping rates through other companies pisses me off.

I could not use the Atkins due to my bad shoulder, but finding a rip in the wild around here is like picking up a 5 pound gold nugget in the street. I plan to be plastic and titanium in a week so may test drive the thing in 6 months.

I hope that that goes well.

What projects do you have lined up for your PT recovery?

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - hbmcc - 10-08-2020

(10-07-2020, 09:33 PM)iclark Wrote: I hope that that goes well.

What projects do you have lined up for your PT recovery?

I am hoping a couple small projects waiting (smoldering) in the wings will be doable in a couple months. But, recovery is wildly variable; from 3 months for young folks and mild procedures--shaving bone surfaces--to a year for some. What they don't volunteer is that replacement limits one to 25 pounds lifting/force. I am not sure western carpentry saws will be usable.

I can see where arthritic conditions will dissuade people from painful activities. Old farts are notorious for minimizing and hiding personal ailments, but a shoulder condition impacts much in hand woodworking. I should present a tell-all here next year.

RE: Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws - Admiral - 10-08-2020

(10-08-2020, 10:46 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I am hoping a couple small projects waiting (smoldering) in the wings will be doable in a couple months. But, recovery is wildly variable; from 3 months for young folks and mild procedures--shaving bone surfaces--to a year for some. What they don't volunteer is that replacement limits one to 25 pounds lifting/force. I am not sure western carpentry saws will be usable.

I can see where arthritic conditions will dissuade people from painful activities. Old farts are notorious for minimizing and hiding personal ailments, but a shoulder condition impacts much in hand woodworking. I should present a tell-all here next year.

Well, good luck to you, those Orthopods do some amazing work, which in a way is a lot like woodworking, only in bone.  A friend of mine was an ortho surgeon, and also a woodworker, and he always noted the comparison.  Just stick with the rehab and work the plan.  Again, best of luck.