Woodnet Forums
How do you clean your saw blades - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How do you clean your saw blades (/showthread.php?tid=7358312)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How do you clean your saw blades - briman87 - 10-14-2020

I think my freud general purpose blade needs to be cleaned. I was wonder if you guys have those fancy pans from rockler or woodcraft that has the built in blade holder. Or do you just use a new oil pan to clean off the blades. Also what do you find works the best to clean the blades and help with rust/build up

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - R Clark - 10-14-2020

Any old plastic wash basin and Simple Green.

Most of my blades are teflon-coated, so rust is not an issue.

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - briman87 - 10-14-2020

(10-14-2020, 01:11 PM)WxMan Wrote: Any old plastic wash basin and Simple Green.

Most of my blades are teflon-coated, so rust is not an issue.

How long do you let it sit in the simple green. I have seen that letting it sit overnight in simple green can cause issue

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - Lumber Yard® - 10-14-2020

Spray/bathe in shallow tray with simple green for a 5-10 minutes. Lightly scrub with nylon brush (tooth brush, etc). Dry off simple green from the blade surfaces. Spray light coat of WD-40 onto blade and wipe off excess. Done.

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - FS7 - 10-14-2020

(10-14-2020, 01:25 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Spray/bathe in shallow tray with simple green for a 5-10 minutes. Lightly scrub with nylon brush (tooth brush, etc). Dry off simple green from the blade surfaces. Spray light coat of WD-40 onto blade and wipe off excess. Done.

This. You can go a few days with Simple Green. I forgot blades in my designated cleaning bin for two years and they were pretty rusty. Otherwise, a short soak and a scrub with a nylon brush works wonders to get the pitch off. I spray them with CLR after.

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - Admiral - 10-14-2020

I use Lestoil because my bride has it in the closet. Soak with hot water solution for 15 min, brush, squeaky clean. Great stuff.

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - Bill Wilson - 10-14-2020

Many years ago, I bought a spray bottle of blade cleaner at Rockler or Woodcraft.  Can't recall which place.  Anyway, I just lay it on an old towel and spray it on one side.  Let it set a few minutes, then do the other side and rinse it off.  I've never had the need to immerse and soak the blade in a pan.  

It takes very little to clean the blade.  I've been using the same bottle for years and I probably still have 75% of it left.

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - Lumber Yard® - 10-14-2020

"I've never had the need to immerse and soak the blade in a pan."

I don't think there is a "need" either but it does help contain the cleaning solution for cleaning multiple blades and it helps with the clean-up after. HTH

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - jcousins2 - 10-14-2020

soak in simple green for 15+- minutes. use a soft brass brush to clean the teeth - rinse of with water - blow the the water off with air compressor - dry with a towel
jerry

RE: How do you clean your saw blades - KyleD - 10-14-2020

I use the bottom of a five gallon bucket I cut to about 1" tall on the inside lip. It is the perfect size and has a built in crown that keeps the teeth off the bottom of the bucket.
I use hot water mixed with a strong dose of simple green for the solvent. Soak for a couple of minutes and use a brass brush. Easy peezy. Been doing it this way for years. Some of my blades are on their fourth sharpening at least. Frued and Lietz brands. I see no deterioration of the carbide or brazing.