Woodnet Forums
WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts (/showthread.php?tid=7358797)

Pages: 1 2

WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - dow - 11-08-2020

I'm in need of a tote and frog for a Stanley type 14 #7C plane. Does anybody know where I might find one or both, and what a fair price would be for each?

Thanks,
Dow

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - nodima - 11-09-2020

Might check with NH Plane parts.  Not sure what their address is currently, but they are as likely as anyone to have the parts.

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - dow - 11-09-2020

(11-09-2020, 11:25 AM)nodima Wrote: Might check with NH Plane parts.  Not sure what their address is currently, but they are as likely as anyone to have the parts.

I had no idea there was such a place.  I'll check with them now.  Thanks!

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - dow - 11-21-2020

Well, the guy at NH Plane parts said that he MIGHT have a frog, but he was traveling at the time and would check when he got home. Also said that he does not have the tote. Haven't heard anything else from him, so I just sent him a follow-up to check.

So I know that I'm still looking for a new tote, and MIGHT still be looking for the frog. Anyone?

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - Phil S. - 11-22-2020

If you're up for making your own tote, Lee Valley has a template for one here -
https://assets.leevalley.com/Original/10090/56664-stanley-number-5-and-up-plane-tote-c-06-e.pdf

I used it to make a tote for a #6 and it worked great.

Phil

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - Admiral - 11-22-2020

(11-21-2020, 11:47 PM)dow Wrote: Well, the guy at NH Plane parts said that he MIGHT have a frog, but he was traveling at the time and would check when he got home.  Also said that he does not have the tote. Haven't heard anything else from him, so I just sent him a follow-up to check.

So I know that I'm still looking for a new tote, and MIGHT still be looking for the frog.  Anyone?

T12 or 13 would also fit, same frog design; also, consider a frog from a #6, which is the same size and should also fit.  I checked, only have a T16, which is a different frog.

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - dow - 11-22-2020

Thanks for the info, Rich. That helps a bunch. I found a T13 one on eBay that looks to be in really good shape, but I'm not sure what a fair price would be for it. The guy's asking $42.50 for it, which I thought seemed kind of steep, but when you compare that to what some of the no.7 planes are going for up there, then maybe it's not that bad.

What do you think?

Phil, I might just do that if nothing else turns up. The tote I've got now is usable, I'd just like to have one that didn't have the top broken off.

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - Admiral - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 07:53 PM)dow Wrote: Thanks for the info, Rich. That helps a bunch.  I found a T13 one on eBay that looks to be in really good shape, but I'm not sure what a fair price would be for it.  The guy's asking $42.50 for it, which I thought seemed kind of steep, but when you compare that to what some of the no.7 planes are going for up there, then maybe it's not that bad.

What do you think?

Phil, I might just do that if nothing else turns up. The tote I've got now is usable, I'd just like to have one that didn't have the top broken off.

Humph, $42 for a frog is way overpriced, I'd be ashamed to charge that!  Be patient, keep watching, check completed listings on ebay and they also go for in the $20s.....

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - dow - 11-22-2020

I suspected as much Rich. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully something will turn up soon. I was hoping to start building a bench this next week, and I really need to get that plane up and running to do it.

RE: WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts - Phil S. - 11-23-2020

(11-22-2020, 07:53 PM)dow Wrote: .....

dow-

Is the tote you have repairable?  If the horn is broken you can plane the break flat, epoxy on a piece the right size, shape it and refinish it.  Wiktor's site used to have a page showing how that's done before he took it down, but isn't hard to figure it out.  Here's another site that shows the process -
https://literaryworkshop.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/handplane-tote-repair-replacing-the-horn/
A better match with the replacement wood would make it a lot less obvious.

If the break is lower, here's a site with a suggested approach -
https://www.georgesbasement.com/fixatote.htm

You could probably have the tote fixed in a couple of hours and be back in business.

Phil