Woodnet Forums
Metal cap for gate - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Metal cap for gate (/showthread.php?tid=7359486)

Pages: 1 2

Metal cap for gate - CEPenworks - 12-14-2020

This is the the second time I have had to make this 10' gate. The first one a horse cribbed on it exposing the wood and it rotted. I do not want that to happen again, that hose also no longer resides at our house. This is a 10' long gate 3" wide. It is made by laminating milled 2x lumber to size and painted. My thought is to run a metal cap along the top and have it fold down the sides 1-2". I am thinking my only option is to see if a metal fabricator can do this. I am not sure where I would even start trying to find a 10' length of sheet metal. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this cap?

RE: Metal cap for gate - DaveR1 - 12-14-2020

A piece of metal roofing? You might be able to find a leftover piece from a roofer. Or what about a seamless gutter supplier? They might be able to form a piece for you or at least sell you a piece that is long enough. In either case you'd get something that was already intended for outdoor use and painted.

RE: Metal cap for gate - Cooler - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 02:35 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: A piece of metal roofing?

Or copper flashing.  Easy to bend.

RE: Metal cap for gate - DaveR1 - 12-14-2020

And copper flashing could look cool.

RE: Metal cap for gate - brianwelch - 12-14-2020

wish I could find the video...saw one where a jig or scroll saw was used to cut a kerf in a piece of lumber/plywood in the profile (cross section) of the desired sheetmetal. The flat sheetmental was pulled thru the kerf, in essence acting like a break...the overall length of the kerf needed to be the same, within reason, as the width of the flat stock...sure seemed simple...

RE: Metal cap for gate - NickNC - 12-14-2020

A standard residential downspout is either 2" x 3" or 3" x 4" and come in 10' lengths.  Maybe cut one side off and slip over/screw on?  Less than $20 in either PVC or aluminum.  Cheaper to replace that regularely if it gets damaged.

RE: Metal cap for gate - farmerj111 - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 05:10 PM)NickNC Wrote: A standard residential downspout is either 2" x 3" or 3" x 4" and come in 10' lengths.  Maybe cut one side off and slip over/screw on?  Less than $20 in either PVC or aluminum.  Cheaper to replace that regularely if it gets damaged.

This was my thought as well, cheap and no custom fabrication.

RE: Metal cap for gate - MstrCarpenter - 12-14-2020

Any decent roofer that does metal roofs should have a 10' brake that will handle steel coil stock. It's a lot heavier than a brake used for aluminum. If you think aluminum will be tough enough, than a lot of the suppliers of vinyl siding will have a brake on site that you can use. The quick jig works on thin tempered aluminum flashing. It's just a piece of plywood with slots cut between 1/4" holes. It works, but not good enough for fully exposed. I've done it a few times and the results were not consistent nor perfect. I do a much better job (and almost as fast) clamping that type aluminum to my ladder and creasing/bending it a few times with my finger and thumb.

RE: Metal cap for gate - MstrCarpenter - 12-14-2020

Here's another thought. Cut a slot in 4" sched. 20 or a segment out of sched. 40 PVC pipe so it's a little too tight to put it on without some force. I'd think it would be uncomfortable to chew the 4" diameter.

RE: Metal cap for gate - Stwood_ - 12-15-2020

Any supplier that sells metal sheeting for roofs and buildings can fashion you up a piece pretty quick. Most have benders in the warehouse.