Woodnet Forums
Black stripes on wood top - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Black stripes on wood top (/showthread.php?tid=7360171)

Pages: 1 2

Black stripes on wood top - niro_12 - 01-14-2021

Hello,

I'm newbie to wood working, and I came across this vintage Lane table. 

I can't figure what cause the black stripes on the wood surface. 

I tried to sand the wood using everything up to 60 grip paper with both orbital and hand sanding, but the stripes are still there.

Any advice?

Thank you.

[attachment=32287]

[attachment=32286]

RE: Black stripes on wood top - KyleD - 01-14-2021

Not sure if this is a real question or not but in case you are honestly asking look up "tiger stripe" or "fiddle back" or "flame" wood figure. It is a highly desirable thing.

RE: Black stripes on wood top - niro_12 - 01-14-2021

Yes it's a real question.. As I mentioned, I'm new to wood working, and never saw this pattern. I have 2 of this tables, and the other one has no stripes. There for I thought it's a problem in the wood.

Thank you for your answer.

RE: Black stripes on wood top - Willyou - 01-14-2021

Also, DON'T do any more sanding, especially with coarse paper. That looks like a veneer. It won't take much to sand through it and then it will be ruined and repair will be nearly impossible.

RE: Black stripes on wood top - MsNomer - 01-14-2021

Oh, my! That is some sweet eye candy.

RE: Black stripes on wood top - niro_12 - 01-14-2021

thanks guys!

So the right thing to do will be to sand it 120-220-320 and then apply Danish Oil? something else?

RE: Black stripes on wood top - jteneyck - 01-14-2021

You are incredibly lucky that you didn't sand through the veneer.  Be very careful and don't sand it any more than necessary to get it ready for a new finish.  Danish Oil is OK but not very protective.  If it's a table that will get hard use I would consider Waterlox or Arm-R-Seal.  

John

RE: Black stripes on wood top - Gary G™ - 01-14-2021

That’s really nice looking.
No offense but:
Stop! Don’t sand anymore. Period.
You might ruin it.

Find someone locally with a bit of experience to work with you on this. It’s too easy to destroy and rather difficult to repair.

RE: Black stripes on wood top - niro_12 - 01-15-2021

No offence taken!

I appreciate your advice, and will follow accordingly.

Thanks.

RE: Black stripes on wood top - Ridgeway - 01-21-2021

(01-14-2021, 02:24 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Oh, my!  That is some sweet eye candy.

I am not so sure about that.  Why would you put that sort of inlay in the middle of that beautiful ribboning?  It gives me a headache to look at.