Woodnet Forums
Scrap management (pic) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Scrap management (pic) (/showthread.php?tid=7360417)

Scrap management (pic) - KC - 01-24-2021

When I was making chairs I cut the curved back pieces out of 8/4 stock, 3 per chair.  Last batch of eight (probably 7 or 8 years ago) I put the scrap pieces in a cabinet.  Forgot they were there.  Can't imagine how many I threw on the burn pile over the years... but I guess I figured I could do something with them someday.  So simple votive candle holder thingies are born.  
Yes   

[attachment=32604]

RE: Scrap management (pic) - shoottmx - 01-24-2021

Good thinking!

g

RE: Scrap management (pic) - Phil Thien - 01-24-2021

The gals are gonna eat those up!

RE: Scrap management (pic) - lift mechanic - 01-24-2021

What a great idea for all those cut offs.

RE: Scrap management (pic) - cputnam - 01-24-2021

Pretty ingenious. Functional scrap - I love it!

RE: Scrap management (pic) - stoppy - 01-25-2021

I get scraps and cutoffs from woodworkers both businesses and hobbiests and create toys for a local charity that deals specifically with court adjudicated abused children. For me it is an enjoyable use of scraps and retirement.  And the toys are made from a variety of high grade wood.

RE: Scrap management (pic) - Stwood_ - 01-25-2021

Cool ...........

RE: Scrap management (pic) - Bob10 - 01-25-2021

Those are nice reminds me of what they make out of wine barrels

RE: Scrap management (pic) - wood-chips - 01-26-2021

Nice and clever too!

RE: Scrap management (pic) - Bill_de - 01-26-2021

(01-24-2021, 12:01 PM)KC Wrote: When I was making chairs I cut the curved back pieces out of 8/4 stock, 3 per chair.  Last batch of eight (probably 7 or 8 years ago) I put the scrap pieces in a cabinet.  Forgot they were there.  Can't imagine how many I threw on the burn pile over the years... but I guess I figured I could do something with them someday.  So simple votive candle holder thingies are born.  
Yes   

Very nice use of scraps. They look good and are functional.

When I am working on something all the scraps go into the scrap boxes. They stay there until winter when I start using the fireplace. That's when each piece is examined and goes into the fire or into the save box. Last night I put some pieces aside for some small picture frames and a couple of ebony pens.

---