Woodnet Forums
Please help ID this wood - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Please help ID this wood (/showthread.php?tid=7360757)

Please help ID this wood - NORM ABRAHAM - 02-07-2021

Please help me identify this piece of wood. This and other pieces were pulled from a old barn in the Lansing Michigan area. Putting it through my planer i can say it seemed VERY hard. Thanks for looking at my wood.
Norm

RE: Please help ID this wood - Gary G™ - 02-07-2021

Not a great grain picture.
Could be black cherry.
Definitely Bug infested.
Don’t mix it with clean stock.

RE: Please help ID this wood - oakey - 02-07-2021

I have never seen powder post Beatles in black cherry
and that does not look like any of the black cherry that I have seen
That sort of looks like beach grain and color or maple PPB love maple (no clue if that is what it is )
But Garry is correct do not mix that with other stock it is or has had a bug investation looks like PPB damage

RE: Please help ID this wood - NORM ABRAHAM - 02-07-2021

Same photo, lightened up, and close up.

RE: Please help ID this wood - MichaelMouse - 02-07-2021

(02-07-2021, 11:11 AM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: Same photo, lightened up, and close up.

Elm, perhaps. An end grain photo would help.  I made a crapload (intended) of "rustic" frames from weathered elm salvaged from an outhouse near Stockbridge.  Nobody'd buy elm back when, so it was a GP wood.

IIRC, it smelled like elm when I charred the new cuts even after a hundred alleged years of use, not like its contents....

RE: Please help ID this wood - EdL - 02-07-2021

Hard Maple.

Ed

RE: Please help ID this wood - Stwood_ - 02-07-2021

(02-07-2021, 07:59 AM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: Please help me identify this piece of wood. This and other pieces were pulled from a old barn in the Lansing Michigan area. Putting it through my planer i can say it seemed VERY hard. Thanks for looking at my wood.
Norm

What types of trees are in your area, within a hundred miles.

RE: Please help ID this wood - Gary G™ - 02-07-2021

(02-07-2021, 11:08 AM)oakey Wrote: I have never seen powder post Beatles in black cherry
and that does not look like any of the black cherry that I have seen
That sort of looks like beach grain and color or maple PPB love maple (no clue if that is what it is )
But Garry is correct do not mix that with other stock it is or has had a bug  investation  looks like PPB damage

In north central FL, sometimes the black cherry grows along creek banks or in swampy areas and will get a mineral stain which has this appearance on the face.
I had PPBs get into my BC in the wood stack from some infected maple.
It happens.

Not saying it’s BC, that was one guess. End and edge grain pics needed.