Woodnet Forums
Goodbye, Norm! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Goodbye, Norm! (/showthread.php?tid=7369179)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Goodbye, Norm! - Cian - 05-19-2022

Norm Abram is finally retiring. He was one of, if not THE most influential virtual mentors I and many other DIYers and woodworkers have had. He has instructed and inspired so many of us to believe that we can build a project ourselves (“Hey, I can do that!”) or even pick this up as a hobby. (The New Yankee Workshop ceased broadcasting in 2009 but Norm was still making appearances on the This Old House series.)  He will be missed. Thank you, Norm!

[Image: Norm_05162022BOC_2002.0.jpg]

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/23126199/this-old-house-to-air-tribute-special-to-master-carpenter-and-television-trailblazer-norm-abram

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - stav - 05-19-2022

Thought this was going to be one of those RIP threads.  Glad it's not.  

I used to watch his woodworking show when I was 14.  No one in my house did any woodworking but for some reason his show pulled me in.

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - Philip1231 - 05-19-2022

A legend and a tremendous inspiration! A picture I have hanging up in my shop of the Master Carpenter himself (and some complete amateur woodworker standing next to him)

[attachment=42341]

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - Handplanesandmore - 05-19-2022

A woodworker who is genuine, sincere and down to earth. No fake enthusiasm or clown behavior sometimes seen in social media.

Simon

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - Tapper - 05-19-2022

First admired Norm on TOH many, many years ago when Bob Vila was doing the show. When he began The New Yankee Workshop I was glued to the TV and use to "tape" the episodes (remember those days?) I'm certain I've seen every one twice at least.

Norm use to make appearances at Home Depot locations. My wife and I saw him at the HD at Perimeter in Atlanta in the mid 1990s. Very gracious and friendly. He had a very smooth delivery and teaching style on the NYW and was always an inspiration. I'll blame him for all these WW tools I've collected.

Best of luck in your retirement Norm - enjoy!

Doug

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - hcbph - 05-20-2022

I can remember seeing the original TOH and NYW programs.  As a carpenter, Norm always impressed me on TOH with some of the things he did.   NYW was something else to me.  I'd spent many a moon before that program doing furniture building, repairing and restoration and I'd learned from a couple of pretty sharp individuals.  Some of the things I saw Norm do on some of the programs left me a little flap jawed, but then again, he got many individuals interested in wood working who might not otherwise.  It was later that I realized the program was not intended (IMO) for fine cabinetmaking, rather to get and keep individuals interested in doing woodworking and able to make something they wouldn't have to keep hidden in a closet.
Enjoy your rest Norm, you did a lot for a lot of people.

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - joe1086 - 05-20-2022

(05-20-2022, 11:20 AM)hcbph Wrote: Some of the things I saw Norm do on some of the programs left me a little flap jawed, but then again, he got many individuals interested in wood working who might not otherwise.  It was later that I realized the program was not intended (IMO) for fine cabinetmaking, rather to get and keep individuals interested in doing woodworking and able to make something they wouldn't have to keep hidden in a closet.

He inspired a lot of people, including me, to jump seriously into the hobby. Good for him, may he enjoy many years of retirement.

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - museumguy - 05-20-2022

Back in NYW heyday, whatever item was used by Norm on Saturday was in huge demand on Monday. Our machinery and power tool distributor was nearby to our shop and I went to pick stuff up quite frequently. He always said that Norm made him a lot of money. He even got into the business of buying shops back from people that no longer wanted them. He got to sell the stuff twice, lol.

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - brianwelch - 05-20-2022

My opinion is clearly shared by many...New Yankee Workshop was a weekend fave...I have several of his NYWS books

RE: Goodbye, Norm! - AHill - 05-20-2022

Norm and his New Yankee Workshop was the reason I started woodworking. I cite him as my virtual mentor. I've met him before and he signed his book for me. Awesome guy.