Woodnet Forums
Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V (/showthread.php?tid=7371296)

Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - Bill Holt - 11-11-2022

Recently used the hammer drill function for the first time. Now it acts as a hammer drill regardless of the setting and the selector is very difficult to rotate.  It was not new, but looked excellent when I bought it.

Anyone have a magic phrase or spell I can use to fix the drill?

RE: Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - Cabinet Monkey - 11-12-2022

(11-11-2022, 05:28 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Recently used the hammer drill function for the first time. Now it acts as a hammer drill regardless of the setting and the selector is very difficult to rotate.  It was not new, but looked excellent when I bought it.

Anyone have a magic phrase or spell I can use to fix the drill?

Try running it in reverse while moving the selector. 

Try drilling into wood while turning the selector ring.

RE: Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - Bill Holt - 11-18-2022

Update:
Needed to us the hammer drill function to drill two holes in ceramic tile.  The drill was actually set for regular drilling.  Two holes drilled, no problem.

Decided to use a little WD40 on the selector ring.  After several changes and more WD40, drill almost functions like new.

RE: Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - Cabinet Monkey - 11-18-2022

(11-18-2022, 08:41 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Update:
Needed to us the hammer drill function to drill two holes in ceramic tile.  The drill was actually set for regular drilling.  Two holes drilled, no problem.

Decided to use a little WD40 on the selector ring.  After several changes and more WD40, drill almost functions like new.

Great news.  

Now you should get a dry lubricating spray with Teflon or similar and repeat the process to keep gearing free.  WD40 is good at freeing stuck parts but it IS NOT a lubricant
No

RE: Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - Bill Holt - 11-18-2022

WD40 is good at freeing stuck parts but it IS NOT a lubricant.

Good point.

RE: Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V - museumguy - 11-19-2022

I had the exact same issue with a Milwaukee hammer drill. I did the exact same thing, WD 40 to free it up, dry lubricant to keep it fee.