Woodnet Forums
A bench I started 2 years ago - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A bench I started 2 years ago (/showthread.php?tid=7373339)

A bench I started 2 years ago - tablesawtom - 06-28-2023

I started building a Moravian bench 2 years ago. And I finally got back to it yesterday. I must say that this is the most challenging bench I have ever built. It is not for the faint hearted. A Roubo is much easier. In one of the pictures is the block that holds the vise hardware. the other is just the chop. I need to get the ends glued together so I can cut the dove tailed pieces on the end. I got the sockets done. The piece that holds the vise hardware is not yet mortised in. And the last picture is the 4 inch top I haven't decided is I am going to do a split top or put on a tool tray or a split top with a tool tray. I have a couple of boards under the stretchers that keep the end pieces off the bench top about 1/32 if an inch for easier removal and installation. One picture is the only print I have of the bench and believe me most is made to the size it is because I chose those sizes. and the print is coffee stained to boot. Since cherry is my favorite wood and  I got some walnut at a very good price, the legs are walnut and the top is Ash. On the bench every thing is setting on the legs and stuff are cherry 

anyway pictures,

[attachment=47687]

[attachment=47688]

[attachment=47689]

[attachment=47690]

[attachment=47691]

[attachment=47692]

[attachment=47693]

Anyway thanks for looking.

Tom

RE: A bench I started 2 years ago - joe1086 - 06-29-2023

That's going to be a good lookin' bench. 

Just seeing the pics I get the urge to take a couple Tylenols.

RE: A bench I started 2 years ago - Woodenfish - 07-01-2023

Tom, are you building your bench off the plans by Will Myers from Wood and Shop? Your bench looks great in the pictures. I saw those plans and thought it would be a great bench.

RE: A bench I started 2 years ago - tablesawtom - 07-01-2023

I do not remember where I got the drawing. There isn't much in the way for dimensions. I wanted my bench to be 34 1/2 off the floor and a 4 inch thick top . I made my angles at 15 degrees and had to trig out the length for the legs. Sizes and where I put everything was at my discretion because there is no hint of anything on the drawing.