Woodnet Forums
Kiichen/cooking tip - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Kiichen/cooking tip (/showthread.php?tid=7374046)

Kiichen/cooking tip - KC - 10-08-2023

Wife uses the crockpot two or three times a week.  After 30 years of struggling with the leftover fatty juices in the slow cooker bag (and not wanting to put them down the drain), it occurred to me that a few cups of sawdust makes that task way much easier.  Doh!

RE: Kiichen/cooking tip - fredhargis - 10-08-2023

It's a good tip. I keep a small bucket of it (sawdust) in the garage to empty cooking oil/grease into after I've fried something as well for the same reason. It just gets dumped into the trash.

RE: Kiichen/cooking tip - brnhornt - 10-08-2023

Trash?  Seems to me it would make a heck of a firestarter.  I'll have to give it a go one of these days.

RE: Kiichen/cooking tip - frule - 10-09-2023

(10-08-2023, 08:44 AM)KC Wrote: Wife uses the crockpot two or three times a week.  After 30 years of struggling with the leftover fatty juices in the slow cooker bag (and not wanting to put them down the drain), it occurred to me that a few cups of sawdust makes that task way much easier.  Doh!

We put them and other food going to the garbage into a plastic bag and freeze them. On garbage pickup day, into the trash can Safe, easy, no mess, no smell.

RE: Kiichen/cooking tip - Stwood_ - 10-09-2023

Save it for starting the wood stove.