Woodnet Forums
Chain Drill? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Chain Drill? (/showthread.php?tid=7374107)

Chain Drill? - bandit571 - 10-17-2023

Been working on rehabbing such a thing....stripped it down to most of the parts...Jaws for the chuck..
[attachment=48577]
It did have all it's springs, but...
[attachment=48578]
Lacked the washer to push the jaws up into the cone of the shell....Tried this size washer...still issues..
[attachment=48579]
A before and after on the right...the correct size on the left.
[attachment=48580]
Might be too small of a bit, for this...even the Breast Drill has bigger bits..but, the same model chuck..
[attachment=48581]
Makes sense, as Goodell Pratt made both of these...

Different bit...time for a test drive?
[attachment=48582]
Since I do have a Goodell Pratt Brace drill, might as well use it.   Drill bit is just a normal 3/8" bit...

Wrap the chain around a post..
[attachment=48583]
Pad at the top of the brace goes on my belly button..
[attachment=48584]
So all I have to do is crank the wrist handle....
[attachment=48585]
As the chain drill will push the drill bit for you....there is a rotation selector knob..
[attachment=48586]
I had it set a "1" rotation....before the chain drill will advance into the post.....can be set up to 3 rotations...

This is the Goodell Pratt Co. No. 1080 Automatic Feed Chain Drill..seems to work as advertised....now just need to find a place to store this complicated machine,,,as I will leave the Brace Drill attached...

RE: Chain Drill? - Bill Holt - 10-18-2023

Thank you for the education.  I lead a very sheltered life and had no idea such a critter existed.

RE: Chain Drill? - stav - 10-18-2023

Very interesting. I also had never heard of this tool. You seem to find all of the interesting things.

RE: Chain Drill? - GNP - 10-20-2023

Always wondered how those things worked.