Woodnet Forums
Battery Powered Chainsaw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Battery Powered Chainsaw (/showthread.php?tid=7375544)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Battery Powered Chainsaw - museumguy - 04-04-2024

First, I don't cut firewood, I don't cut timber, all I do is basically cleanup any debris on my property. I've always used a gas powered chainsaw. For the last couple of years, I've had issues. I ended up replacing the carburetor and it sorta helped. I'm really frustrated with having to work on it or now I feel it's time to put it in the repair shop for a complete "fix", mainly correcting my failed attempts at a DIY repair. So, I'm mow considering a battery powered chainsaw. I don't have any large trees to worry about plus, I have neighbors if needed. My question, does anyone have experience with a battery operated chainsaw? Pros and cons.

Thanks

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - vernonator - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 07:28 AM)museumguy Wrote: First, I don't cut firewood, I don't cut timber, all I do is basically cleanup any debris on my property. I've always used a gas powered chainsaw. For the last couple of years,  I've had issues. I ended up replacing the carburetor and it sorta helped. I'm really frustrated with having to work on it or now I feel it's time to put it in the repair shop for a complete "fix", mainly correcting my failed attempts at a DIY repair.  So, I'm mow considering a battery powered chainsaw. I don't have any large trees to worry about plus, I have neighbors if needed. My question,  does anyone have experience with a battery operated chainsaw? Pros and cons.

Thanks

I have a Ryobi that uses their One Battery - for clean up and pruning branches it works just fine. I have a gas unit if I need to cut up anything bigger than say your forearm.

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - jteneyck - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 07:28 AM)museumguy Wrote: First, I don't cut firewood, I don't cut timber, all I do is basically cleanup any debris on my property. I've always used a gas powered chainsaw. For the last couple of years,  I've had issues. I ended up replacing the carburetor and it sorta helped. I'm really frustrated with having to work on it or now I feel it's time to put it in the repair shop for a complete "fix", mainly correcting my failed attempts at a DIY repair.  So, I'm mow considering a battery powered chainsaw. I don't have any large trees to worry about plus, I have neighbors if needed. My question,  does anyone have experience with a battery operated chainsaw? Pros and cons.

Thanks

No experience, yet, but I'm sure interested in following this.  FWIW, I have an Ego battery powered hedge trimmer and it has plenty of power and battery life for me to trim my hedges and keep the brush at bay around 200 yards of my property w/o draining the battery.  Very impressive machine. Their chainsaw would be one of the first I'll look at if I get tired of using the gas powered ones I have.  

John

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - goaliedad - 04-04-2024

I am committed to the Ryobi platform. We had trees to prune and my wife bought the Ryobi pole saw. I am pleasantly surprised.
I have a Stihl gas saw too, but the pole saw is very handy

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - EdL - 04-04-2024

I have the DeWalt, works great for yard cleanup.

Ed

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - branchacctg - 04-04-2024

Have a Black & Decker that has worked well for my needs.  Even took down a 15" diameter dead dogwood and cut up the pieces into manageable size for disposal.

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - museumguy - 04-04-2024

The unit I'm looking at is the Hart 18" saw. Same manufacturer as Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee. I have a couple of their tools and am very impressed so far.

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - ajkoontz - 04-04-2024

So ~$200 is what you're looking at I think? I found a clearance deal at Lowes a couple years ago and took a chance and bought it and pretty pleased with it. I wouldn't have thrown down $200 to take a chance but now that I have one I think I'd pay that to replace it if/ when it dies. Mine is a 40V, I think Greenworks brand, point is it's not a big name brand so probably pretty comparable to what you're looking at. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but for the exact situation you describe- general clean-up, once or twice a year, low maintenance. Cons- it's a little finicky with the blade adjustment- ie throws the chain more than a normal saw. And it is NOT a replacement for a good 2-stroke saw, which it sounds like you already have a good grasp of this is not a saw for cutting firewood all day. If I recall, the blades are a non-standard (narrower?) size so it's not like you can walk in any store and find your chain- but you can find them on-line or maybe you just have to hunt around a little more. Pros- cheaper (maybe), quiet, and the biggest of all- starts on the first pull every time. So yeah, as long as you know the limitations going in I think you'll be happy with it.

I did use it fall a ~14" at the stump white pine yard tree, maybe 25 feet tall. Got it on the ground and bucked with one battery. Cut into firewood size logs (almost) on battery #2. Used the big saw to saw the stump at the ground and cut the last few pieces into firewood just so I didn't have to wait for the battery to charge. I was just doing this to see if the saw could handle it and it did better than I expected. So general advice- if you only have 1 chansaw get a gasser (or ability to borrow a saw from a neighbor), and cordless makes a good second saw for quick cuts every once in a while. I've also owned corded electric chainsaws and power-wise I think today's cordless are just as powerful.

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - EatenByLimestone - 04-04-2024

If you don’t have any large trees, would a sawzall work?

RE: Battery Powered Chainsaw - EatenByLimestone - 04-04-2024

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-in-3-TPI-Pruning-Carbide-Teeth-Wood-Cutting-SAWZALL-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-1-Pack-48-00-5233/313469090?g_store=1239&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25P-028_007_POWER_GENERATION-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-PMAX_GENERATORS&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25P-028_007_POWER_GENERATION-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-PMAX_GENERATORS-71700000117165747--&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADq61UcgpCY-kyBtWl5JQENY3QtoF&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn7mwBhCiARIsAGoxjaI2CZFGAWyVsDwIkL3jCwVq2ZgALdDYRKD0hOHeC5VVGelIjIuyzo0aAviLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 TPI for pruning, so it probably has some set for green wood.

I found a 2 tpi for masonry, but the tooth profile might not work the best for wood.