Woodnet Forums
Simple Machine Improvements - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Simple Machine Improvements (/showthread.php?tid=7375604)

Simple Machine Improvements - jteneyck - 04-10-2024

I love my Grizzly G06363X bandsaw, except for the throat plate.  It's probably fine for most cutting needs, but with very narrow parts, like sawing veneer, the work can get pulled down through the opening in the plate.  I have no clue how they thought this was a good design.  

[Image: AP1GczNfuqv0fcVeQBdb_P2WvQT_gdNb0HQmJPbT...authuser=1]

So today I made a new insert from a piece of 1/2" Baltic birch.  The recess the factory insert sits in is only 4.5 mm deep, so I cut a rabatt on the bottom so the top of the new insert is flush with the table.  This stuff is really simple if you happen to have a CNC.  Here's what the simulation showed it would look like.

[Image: AP1GczPscRHSZm8jp9RYveVbj8ID7RcAaS9Dadqz...authuser=1]

And after a couple of minutes on the machine I had this.  My measurements were good so the piece fit snugly w/o any adjustments needed.  I made a couple more and gave one to my friend who has the same saw.  

[Image: AP1GczOU2hIBMo0Qd33hEKuU-aSMnIG_tKnyygNH...authuser=1]

On to my miter saw, I made a new ZCI for it, too.  This was a little more involved, but still easy to do with the CNC.  I used a piece of hardwood planed to the correct thickness and then cut it out.  Unlike the thin factory inserts, it stays flat and can be made perfectly flush with the top of the table.  

[Image: AP1GczM6x24IulvB6xxUk0lauf5W5umLOY1BrYmN...authuser=1]

On a roll, I made a large angle gauge with common angles to check the set up on my radial arm saw. 45 degrees:

[Image: AP1GczMKvsvDAaz-mVYeERyKLSWj-1Pg6o2HLOqs...authuser=1]

60 degrees:

[Image: AP1GczMy_qxbW1arIHCGgn4TihZut90I472C_s8m...authuser=1]

You get the idea.  And the cutout from the middle works nicely on my miter saw.

[Image: AP1GczOW51ZEh8NjNS3MdzI6SWj4P7T2E3Orzkmy...authuser=1]

I could have made these things by hand, and used to, but the CNC makes it easier to do so with almost guaranteed precision and accuracy.  It's been a great addition to my shop.  

John

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - KC - 04-11-2024

Those angle guides are sweet.

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - Bill Holt - 04-11-2024

Sure makes me wish my friend, JS, had a CNC (no room left in my shop).  Smart "thinkin" John.

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - jteneyck - 04-11-2024

(04-11-2024, 05:33 AM)KC Wrote: Those angle guides are sweet.

Thanks.  I started by making a large 45-degree triangle, but quickly realized it's not convenient at all for setting either the RAS or CMS because it has to go on the back side of the blade. Then I remembered the plastic gauge I offered for sale here about a year ago (no takers, BTW) but that has no 90-degree corner, so I redrew it.  The design software makes that a simple, 2 minute task, and you can scale it to any size you need.  This one is perfect for my RAS as a quick check.   

John

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - cams2705 - 04-11-2024

(04-11-2024, 05:33 AM)KC Wrote: Those angle guides are sweet.

+1

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - Stwood_ - 04-12-2024

(04-11-2024, 09:19 PM)cams2705 Wrote: +1

+2...................

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - jteneyck - 04-12-2024

(04-12-2024, 11:21 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: +2...................

Thanks.  I can make most any geometry in most any size in any material that can be cut with an endmill if anyone wants one.  

John

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - museumguy - 04-13-2024

Very nice idea. I have to ask, how much for an exact duplicate of the radial arm saw guide? I'm sure that I can't be the only one interested.

RE: Simple Machine Improvements - jteneyck - 04-14-2024

(04-13-2024, 05:52 PM)museumguy Wrote: Very nice idea. I have to ask, how much for an exact duplicate of the radial arm saw guide? I'm sure that I can't be the only one interested.

$20, including shipping, if I use 1/2" BB plywood.  

John