Made myself a collet handle
I was going to buy a couple but after seeing what they cost I decided to try and make my own. Found what I needed at our local Ace hardware. About 10 dollars for off the shelf plumbing fittings.

I've finished turned a couple of bowls and the collet holds tightly and I haven't noticed any slippage at all. Time will tell how they hold up but I'm thrilled so far. If anyone is interested I also uploaded a video of the making.

collet handle

Let me know what you think.
Steve K

Steve you did a great job and I think it is great to have one handle and several tools.

Do you have the Numbers from the parts from ACE? I would like to get them also. Are they 3/8",1/2", 5/8", or 3/4".

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

Steve you did a great job and I think it is great to have one handle and several tools.

Do you have the Numbers from the parts from ACE? I would like to get them also. Are they 3/8",1/2", 5/8", or 3/4".

Arlin

Arlin
The fittings are standard off the shelf brass for plumbing. I do not have the barcode numbers but one of them is tagged (1/2" comp X 3/8" FIP).
The other is labeled 3/8 X 1 1/2" pipe nipple. I don't really understand why they work because my gouge is 1/2" diameter.
Also, the gouge used in the video is a Thompson. The fittings work with that gouge, I don't know that they'll work with a different brand. Best to take what a person has to the hardware to fit and make sure.
Steve K

They work together because a 3/8 pipe is 1/2" Out side Diameter (O/D)

Nice job
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Woodshop said:

They work together because a 3/8 pipe is 1/2" Out side Diameter (O/D)

Nice job

Thanks. I think you misunderstood what I said. The nipple is tagged 3/8" i.d. X 1-1/2" long. The shaft on my gouge is 1/2", so how does it fit inside a 3/8" i.d. pipe?
I think I have figured it out though. The key lies with the compression fitting I used. It is tagged 1/2" comp X 3/8" FIP.
After doing a little research I find that "FIP" is plumber talk for "female iron pipe". What I think is this; the nipple I bought is brass and the walls are thinner on brass than they are on iron pipe. So, to fit that thread the i.d. is actually more like 1/2" when it's brass in lieu of iron. Hope that makes sense.
Steve K

Very nice!
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
That was a clever idea Steve!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net