Stanley #80
In use, today...

leveling out and smoothing down any high spots and ridges...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The size of the burr, the steel, how the burr is rolled, what you use to roll it-- can (and should) make all the difference in the world. I'll never understand why inveterate tool tuners don't adore scrapers. An extra two pounds of pressure results in almost a completely different tool/shaving. You can take literal cobwebs off the surface that bring up the highest shine and clarity you can imagine (despite assertions otherwise) or run an aggressive hook that gets past flaws quickly. Card scrapers/shaped scrapers/curved scrapers can be used on curves of all kinds, mouldings, etc. -- places where a No. 4 can't go.

Don't let the flat-and-square crowd convince you that scrapers of all kinds aren't useful. If you venture out in deeper waters, your No. 4 will be sitting on the shore watching you drown.

Your first Eureka! moment might come when you scratch out a nice little moulding on project stock and by Golly it looks great -- grain is clear, surface is smooth and burnished and then you ask yourself why wouldn't the same principal work on a flat run of stock? Well, it will, and in all those curvy places too. Win-win-win.