Tools for PEX plumbing
I have done a lot of plumbing with PVC, but never with PEX. I had my "Little House" plumbed by a contractor who used PEX. I now need to install shutoffs and connections so I can hook up the sinks, shower, etc.
What do I need to do this? A crimper tool, for one. Cost from about $50 to $150 at Lowes.
Thanks

For those who saw and contributed to my post about wiring. I installed a 200amp disconnect under the meter, then ran 4-0 in conduit to the 200amp breaker box in the house. Everything is working as it should.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
My $0.02 as a DIY plumber:

First you need to decide if you'll be using PEX A or PEX B as the two have different joinery systems.

PEX B is more common, so I'll focus on that.

For installing fittings, you need to decide if you'll go with stainless cinch rings or the older style copper crimp. All of my experience is with copper crimp rings, but the stainless cinch rings seem to be as reliable with a number of advantages: one tool fits many pipe sizes, easier to use in tight spaces.

You also need a pipe cutter and a tool for cutting off old rings so you can re-use or remake a fitting. And some misc hand tools.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I bought a 25 dollar pex crimper off ebay. It has worked well on several projects. it uses the ratchet style clamps rather than the rings. advantages are if you mess up you can undo the ratchet clamp much more easily than a solid ring. it is also a lot smaller so fits into tighter spaces, and it doesn't care what size the fitting is (works with 1/2", 3/4" etc clamps). disadvantage is its a 25 dollar tool, but it has held up plumbing across several major projects at both mine and others' houses.

(05-16-2024, 08:03 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: I have done a lot of plumbing with PVC, but never with PEX.  I had my "Little House" plumbed by a contractor who used PEX. I now need to install shutoffs and connections so I can hook up the sinks, shower, etc.
What do I need to do this?  A crimper tool, for one.  Cost from about $50 to $150 at Lowes.
Thanks

For those who saw and contributed to my post about wiring.  I installed a 200amp disconnect under the meter, then ran 4-0 in conduit to the 200amp breaker box in the house.  Everything is working as it should.

GM

First determine what type of PEX the plumber installed, probably Pex A.    Pex A will have pex sleeves on the connections and no copper rings or stainless cinch rings.    Pex A fittings will not fit pex B pipe as they are larger.  However pex B fittings will fit pex A pipe with crimp or cinch rings.   Pex A uses a expansion tool which is more costly than crimp or cinch ring tools.   Also remember that if you inert a pex B "T"  fitting into pex A pipe it will reduce the flow a little.   Most cases it is not a problem.    Roly
I have done a fair bit if Pex b with copper rings.
Easy, not a big learning curve.
I use a dremel for cutting rings off
The rings tend to slide around until you get them crimped- I use channel locks to bend them slightly once they are in place, it makes it much easier to get the crimping tool on then.
If I were starting over I would use the stainless steel crimp on style.