How I sharpen.
All of that is nice about who came up with what, but this post is an answer to Trappers post. He said he was considering a Veritas MK11 system. And hadn't warmed up yo water stones. I posted a new post because it was easier for me to do it that way. I said I would respond with pictures and he said he would like that.

I posted the front half only because the guide and water stones are going to tale a very long time without preparing the primary angle first. The only two methods of sharpening that I know about is free hand sharpening and using a sharpening fixture. Because of age free hand is not an option. And there wouldn't be a lot of different make of sharpening fixtures on the market if every one could get a good edge free handing it. I have the Veritas system and I find it works very well. I didn't buy the whole system at first but tried it out and then added as I felt the need.  

I like the Veritas MK11 system, there is nothing I would change to make it better. I have tried other sharpening fixtures but I use this one. I use water stones because they are easier to keep flat and seem to cut faster. I can't leave out the leather strap. A lot of people leave out the leather.

On a side note: a jig guides the cutter like a dovetail jig. The router with cutter is moved or a Kreg jig where the drill bit is guided. A fixture clamps the part and references the work piece to the cutter. 

Tom
(05-25-2024, 05:54 AM)CStan Wrote: The Koch system has been around for decades, long bars included:

Koch Sharpening System - Woodcarving Illustrated
That Koch system looks to be fairly expensive, but it also looks like a very good sharpener..I learned to freehand sharpen many years ago so the bars wouldn't be of much use to me..

Here's a shot of a little grinder I bought last fall to use at my computer desk in my office..The tapered double mandrel set-up comes in really handy and makes it an excellent way to put the final polish on smallish woodcarving tools.One tool that many carvers cannot sharpen in the "V" tool...I made a leather disc for this machine that makes the job of sharpening pretty straight forward and simplifies it. The edge of the disc is tapered to conform to the inside of the "V"..and it puts a very high polish on it. Changing wheels takes just seconds.

[Image: C6-B44-A6-C-5-D8-C-4-D56-A7-B6-057-B8-D6-D0495.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nice machine. All kinds of buffing contraptions out there it seems.
(05-25-2024, 09:26 AM)CStan Wrote: Nice machine.  All kinds of buffing contraptions out there it seems.
Well worth the $79.00 on Amazon...very adaptable for light duty,with all the attachments..Perfect for small, hand-held carving knives and gouges, etc. I made a 3" diameter leather wheel for it and I have a felt wheel also. I can sit at my desk and enjoy myself while whittling away.
Big Grin

[Image: C13595-B3-311-B-476-E-912-E-0-DDB610-C5-DD0.avif]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nicely done, Jack!
Yes

Doug
(05-25-2024, 11:08 AM)Tapper Wrote: Nicely done, Jack!
Yes

Doug
Thank you, Doug...the nicest thing about caricature carving is you don't have to worry about making a mistake
Crazy
Big Grin
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I was very interested in your little grinder and I like the way it was adapted to sharpen what you want to sharpen. Well done. .

Tom
(05-25-2024, 06:02 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I was very interested in your little grinder and I like the way it was adapted to sharpen what you want to sharpen. Well done. .

Tom
Thanks Tom....I ordered it on a whim, thinking I could always return it if I didn't love it, but it turns out that it does exactly what I had hoped for and more, with all the attachments. The speed is widely adjustable, to conform with whatever rim speed you choose. I think it does up to 10,000RPM. It even comes with a spare set of brushes! And it's more powerful than a Dremel. It's as powerful as a Foredom flex shaft. Highly recommended for light duty sharpening. I give it five stars!
Big Grin:

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-25-2024, 10:39 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
Well worth the $79.00 on Amazon...very adaptable for light duty,with all the attachments..Perfect for small, hand-held  carving knives and gouges, etc. I made a 3" diameter leather wheel for it and I have a felt wheel also. I can sit at my desk and enjoy myself while whittling away.
Big Grin

[Image: C13595-B3-311-B-476-E-912-E-0-DDB610-C5-DD0.avif]

Awesome carvings.  Love 'em.